Tips for Home Buyers
Buying a new house can be a very exciting and busy time. Keep in mind these important tips so you stay happy in your new home.
- Start by learning how much you can afford to pay for a new home. Contact a BB&T mortgage professional or try our How much can I afford? mortgage calculator for an estimate.
- Get expert advice. Search for your new home with the help of an experienced real estate agent.
- Save time and energy by narrowing your search. Focus on homes in areas you already know you like.
- Don't let excitement get the best of you. Resist the temptation to buy beyond your budget.
- Be clear about your requirements for your new home. Carefully distinguish between what you need and what you want.
- Get a second opinion. If shopping alone, bring a friend or relative with you when you find a home you are considering.
- Find out about all costs associated with a particular home. For example, get an estimate on homeowner's association fees and utility bills.
- Give the house a test drive. Try your potential new commute in rush hour to learn about traffic patterns and travel time.
- Get a feel for the neighborhood. Visit the home at various times of the day to learn if the area is peaceful or bustling with activity.
- Consider the cost to upgrade. If the home requires renovations, be sure to include that figure in the overall price tag.
- Don't short change yourself. Check out other properties for sale. You might miss a great opportunity if make an offer too quickly.