Immediately contact your local BB&T branch or call 800-BANK-BBT (1-800-226-5228) if you suspect you are a victim of identity theft.
How BB&T Can Help You
BB&T offers free fraud restoration services that can greatly reduce the time and effort needed to restore your good name. Prompt action can help to minimize the damage if you are victimized by a telephone or text scam.
BB&T will assist you by:
- Notifying the credit bureaus to request a fraud alert be placed on your credit file
- Determining if you have been victimized at any other financial institutions or creditors
- Alerting the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) of confirmed fraud
You should always file a police report and keep any documentation of the scam (letters, phone numbers, etc.).
What You Can Do
If you choose NOT to contact BB&T to report the identity theft, you will need to:
- Contact one of the three major credit reporting agencies immediately to request that a fraud alert be placed in your file, and that no new credit be granted without your approval. You need to call only one of these agencies, as they have agreed to notify each other whenever an individual requests a fraud alert.
- TransUnion 800-680-7289
- Equifax 800-525-6285
- Experian 888-397-3742
- Notify any other grantors of credit about the fraud, and file a police report. If you have documentation of the scam (letters, phone numbers, etc.), keep the original-make copies to provide to others.
- Consider reporting the fraud to the FTC at 877-438-4338 (TDD: 202-326-2502).
- Keep detailed records of all events related to your identity theft. This includes details of the scam itself as well as the steps you take in reaction to it. Include names, telephone numbers, and the date and time you made contact with individuals or companies for assistance.