Supporting our communities
BB&T has always been a partner, an advocate and a force for change. We strive to provide the best support for our communities by using outreach efforts to create and develop useful and needed financial products and services.
The Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) was enacted in 1977 to encourage banks to help meet the credit needs of the communities in which they operate. BB&T is fulfilling this mission by lending and investing in projects that improve our communities, especially in the housing sector.
Our CRA performance in community development lending and investments shows our commitment to helping our neighbors.
Community Development Councils
Community Development Councils bring greater interaction between community professionals and BB&T to provide a forum for community input and to discuss community needs.
Truist Community Benefits Plan
BB&T and SunTrust have announced Truist Bank's $60 billion Community Benefits Plan.
CRA Public File
Our CRA Public File includes information about branch and ATM locations, our products and services, regulatory performance evaluations of our record of meeting community credit needs, public comments about our CRA performance and other information.
Need more information? Meet our CRA team and learn how we can help you.
Neighborhood revitalization and development
Learn more about how BB&T is helping to revitalize communities.
Community and economic development is a dynamic, complex and ever-changing endeavor. Every community faces different challenges and chooses different strategies for revitalization.
- Urban markets – These communities may face rapid population growth and sky-rocketing land and development costs (resulting in affordability issues for low- and moderate-income residents).
- Rural communities – These areas may face population losses and lack of new community investments (resulting in declining property values and abandoned properties).
- Vibrant communities – Comprising separate, yet interconnected, components, these areas have the benefit of adequate infrastructure, quality education, workforce development, sufficient cultural and recreational facilities, access to health care and social services and employment opportunities.
Each community has its strengths and areas of opportunity—and employs different strategies to improve the livability of the area. BB&T understands the complexity of the community development process and that a one-size-fits-all approach just doesn't work. We firmly believe community development is a long-term process that's most successful when the nonprofit, public and private sectors work collectively to address the unique challenges each of our communities faces.
BB&T has created a comprehensive program for community development and employs Community Development Specialists to help connect the various pieces of the development puzzle. Our solution results in new brick and mortar projects, nonprofit capacity building, small business entrepreneurial development and community services necessary to support sustainable neighborhood revitalization.
One of the ways BB&T demonstrates our continuing commitment to the geographic markets we serve is through our support of community partners. We've created a comprehensive Capacity Building Program that surpasses any current offering in the market, and includes housing and economic development certification training and technical assistance.
- Housing Development Finance Professional Certification Program
- Economic Development Finance Professional Certification Program
- Training institutes
- National/regional conferences and summits
Technical assistance is provided to bridge the gap between the classroom and the neighborhood. Many professionals become skilled in the areas of predevelopment, financing, construction and management.