BB&T Online Banking Agreement and Initial Disclosures
Effective October 29, 2017
This Agreement and Initial Disclosures (the agreement) governs your use of the service. By subscribing to the service or using the service, you agree to the terms of this agreement. Please read this agreement carefully and in its entirety. We suggest you print a copy of this agreement. We also suggest you print a copy of the software license agreements included with the personal financial management software.
B. Access to the service
You may use an electronic device to access the service through BB&T Online® or personal financial management software, which you must purchase from the software manufacturer or a retailer of your choice. Your use of the personal financial management software is governed by the software license agreements included with each software application. You must agree to the terms and conditions of the software license agreements during the installation of the personal financial management software on your electronic device. You are responsible for the correct set-up and installation of the personal financial management software.
The following definitions apply in this agreement.
- Account(s) refers to your eligible checking, savings, money market, loan, line of credit, credit card, prepaid card account or mortgage account you have with BB&T. Some of your accounts may not be eligible for certain transactions using the service.
- Account agreement(s) means any account agreement, such as the Bank Services Agreement (for consumer accounts) and the Commercial Bank Services Agreement (for business accounts), or other applicable agreement, as amended from time to time, relating to a deposit account, loan or other relationship you have with us.
- Affiliate means, with respect to any person, another person who directly or indirectly owns or controls such person, is owned or controlled by such person or is under common ownership or control with such person; and the term also includes each of such persons' senior executive officers, directors, executives, managers, members or partners.
- Applicable law means, as to any person, a requirement imposed by any federal, state, local or other law, regulation, rule, ordinance, determination of an arbitrator, order of a court or determination, order, finding, advisory opinion, guideline or requirement of any other governmental authority, which is applicable to and binding upon such person, including without limitation, the laws, regulations and orders administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN).
- BB&T refers to Branch Banking and Trust Company and its depository institution affiliates where your accounts may be located.
- Online banking means the Internet application through which you may access the service.
- Business day(s) means Monday through Friday, except Federal Reserve holidays.
- Combined service means both commercial and consumer accounts may be accessed by using the service.
- Deliver By date refers to the date on which your payment will be delivered to the recipient.
- Non-BB&T account(s) means your personal checking or savings account at another financial institution.
- Recipient refers to any business, merchant or professional with a valid 5-digit US Postal Service ZIP address that generates a bill or invoice for services, or services provided on your behalf.
- Recipient account refers to the account to which the recipient will credit your payment.
- Recipient information refers to information about a recipient used to properly direct payment to the recipient and permit the recipient to identify the correct recipient account.
- Personal financial management software means the computer program through which you may access the service. See the Online Banking Frequently Asked Questions for currently supported programs and versions.
- Send On date refers to the business day on which a bill payment is sent to the recipient. For electronic payments, the bill payment is sent and the payment is pending 2 business days prior to the Deliver By date. Pending payments are deducted from your available balance. For bill payments in the form of checks (paper drafts), a paper check is mailed 5 business days prior to the Deliver By date. Funds will be withdrawn after the recipient deposits the check.
- Service(s) refers to collectively, any or all of online banking services, described in this agreement, which allows you to electronically access account and transaction information, transfer funds, originate transactions and pay bills on an electronic device.
- Service charge account means the account you have designated to be charged for all applicable fees and charges associated with the services.
- Software license agreement(s) means the software license agreements governing your use of the personal financial management software.
- System requirements means the current hardware and software minimum requirements to access the service. See the Getting Started section in the Online Banking Frequently Asked Questions for details.
- Withdrawal date refers to the business day on which the funds are withdrawn from your account for a scheduled bill payment.
- We, us or our refers to BB&T and any agent, independent contractor, designee or assignee BB&T may, in its sole discretion, involve in the provision of the service.
- You or your refers to the individuals, corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and sole proprietorships subscribing to or using the service.
A. User ID and password
You will be asked to choose your personal user ID consisting of 8 - 15 alpha-numeric characters and a password consisting of 8 - 28 alpha-numeric characters, which you will use to obtain access to your account(s) at BB&T. The password must contain at least three of the following: one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, one number, or an allowed symbol. An allowed symbol can be any of the following: !#%()*,;:@_$=. The password must not have a character consecutively repeated more than twice (for example, AAA or 333 are not allowed) nor can your User ID or your 3 previous passwords be used. If you request combined services, you will use one user ID and password to access both your commercial and consumer accounts. You authorize us to follow any instructions entered through the service using your user ID and password. You agree not to give or make available your user ID and password to any person. Sharing this information constitutes a misuse and therefore, all transactions initiated by those with whom you shared information will be considered as authorized by you, regardless of whether you intended those transactions to be made. We may ask you to change your user ID and password from time to time for security reasons. You agree not to use any language that is abusive, harassing, libelous, defamatory, obscene or threatening when defining your user ID or any other personalization of your account(s).
B. Additional security measures
In addition to your user ID and password, we may ask you to create and provide responses to additional authentication questions that only you and BB&T will know to verify your identity. You will be asked to create these questions and responses annually and will be presented with a question and prompted for a response at random when you access the service and/or make certain transactions using the service. These questions and your correct responses help us to provide stronger protection of your account information and transactions. We reserve the right to prevent access to the service and/or refuse to process any payment or transfer for security reasons or if we suspect fraud. You agree to cooperate with us in the investigation and prosecution of any person who has obtained and used your user ID and password without your authorization.
IV. Bill payment service
You may make payments through the service to any business, merchant or professional with a valid address that generates a bill or invoice for services or services provided on your behalf. We reserve the right to refuse to allow you to designate any particular recipient or class of recipient. You may also make payments through the service to individuals, family or friends for non-business purposes. Payments may be made only to recipients with a 5-digit US Postal Service ZIP code address, including APO/FPO addresses. You may not make a payment of alimony, child support, taxes, other governmental fees or court-ordered payments through the service. Any user of this service shall comply with all applicable laws and regulations including the laws and regulations administered by the US Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). We reserve the right to refuse to process any bill payment we reasonably believe violates applicable law or we believe is made in connection with any unlawful transaction or activity, including without limitation, gaming, gambling, lottery or similar activities. We will notify you if we do not process a bill payment.
B. Your recipients list
You must provide sufficient information about each recipient as we may request from time to time, to properly direct a payment to that recipient and permit the recipient to identify the correct recipient account to credit with your payment. This information may include, among other criteria, the name, address and phone number of the recipient and your recipient's account number. You agree we may obtain information regarding your recipient accounts to facilitate proper handling and crediting of your payments, and you authorize your recipients to release such information to us. You further authorize us to confirm and standardize a recipient's address at our discretion and without notice to you. You can enter your recipient information directly on your electronic device. Additions, deletions and modifications to recipient information are entered directly on your electronic device and are communicated to us the next time you log onto the service. For online banking, the change will be immediate upon confirmation of the change. Refer to Online Help for additional information about retrieving your account data.
C. Scheduling bill payments
To electronically schedule a payment with your electronic device, follow the simple instructions in Online Help or the personal financial management software online help file. Payments may range in amounts up to $100,000 except as limited by account type and applicable account agreements. If you would like a written confirmation or confirmation by email of the payment information for any payment you have scheduled, please call BB&T at 888-BBT-ONLINE (888-228-6654) or send us an email with your request. When you schedule a bill payment, you authorize us to withdraw the amount of your payment from your account(s).
D. How bill payments are delivered
We may remit your payments by mailing your recipient a paper check, by electronic funds transfer or by other means. Recipients who have a relationship established to receive electronic delivery of payments by us will receive your payment information by a computer link. The Deliver By date will depend on how the payment is sent. The Deliver By date for electronic payments is generally 2 business days after the Send On date. For recipients that are unable to receive electronic payments, we may send payments by a paper draft drawn on your account. You agree all paper drafts issued on your authorized instructions will be the same as if actually signed by you. We send all checks through the US mail. The Deliver By date for paper drafts is generally 5 business days after the Send On date. We are not responsible for postal delays or processing delays by the recipients. Occasionally, a recipient chooses not to participate in the service or may be unable to process payments in a timely manner. In such cases, we may decline to make future payments to these recipients.
E. Processing your bill payments
You will be asked to specify the Deliver By date. For electronic payments, we will reduce the available balance in your account by the amount of the bill payment you have scheduled 2 business days prior to the Deliver By date you specified. For bill payments in the form of checks (paper drafts), the withdrawal date will be the date on which the paper draft is presented for payment against the account. If the Deliver By date for a non-repeating payment falls on a weekend or a Federal Reserve holiday, your Deliver By date will be moved to the prior business day. Although you may schedule bill payments by using the service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, payments will be withdrawn from your account only on business days, subject to system availability. We may refuse to process your payment if sufficient funds, including funds available under any overdraft plan, are not available in your account(s).
F. Same day bill payments
The Send On date for a bill payment can be the same day that you schedule the payment if we receive your instructions before 7 pm ET, on a business day. Payments submitted after 7 pm ET are automatically adjusted to the next available Deliver By date.
G. Future bill payments
You may schedule a payment for a future business day up to 1 year in advance.
H. Repeating bill payments
You may establish repeating bill payments for a fixed amount to be delivered based on predefined frequency options. Upon establishing your first bill payment, all future bill payments are calculated on the initial Deliver By date. Both the Send On date and Deliver By date must occur on a business day to allow for appropriate delivery time to the requested recipient.
- If the Deliver By date falls on a holiday or a weekend, the Deliver By date will be adjusted to the preceding business day.
- If the Deliver By date does not exist in a certain month, the Deliver By date will be adjusted to the last business day of that month.
- Send On dates can vary depending on where the Deliver By date falls within the payment delivery cycle.
- Changes to the payment delivery method can also affect the Send On date.
I. Guarantee for bill payments
BB&T will reimburse you for any late payment fees or penalties you are charged, up to a maximum of $50 per scheduled payment, as a result of our failure to deliver a payment made to a business by the Deliver By date if you meet each of the following conditions:
- You must properly schedule the Deliver By date to include adequate time for your payment to be processed and delivered on or before the date the payment is due to the recipient. This means you must schedule your payments before 7 pm ET, on a business day at least 5 business days prior to the date the payment is due to the recipient. Mortgage payments differ from other repeating payments in the following manner: If your mortgage payment is due on the first of each month with a 15-day grace period, then you must schedule your mortgage payment on or before the third calendar day of each month, or the payment guarantee will not apply.
- You must provide us with the correct recipient name, address, due date, account information and the correct payment amount.
- Your account(s), including any overdraft plan, must contain sufficient funds to complete the payment or transfer on the withdrawal date.
- The payment must be made to a business.
- The late payment fee or penalty, or the method of calculation, must be published by the recipient prior to the date the payment is due to the recipient.
- Your electronic device, hardware, software, telephone line and Internet service provider, if applicable, must be functioning properly.
- You must provide us with a copy of the statement identifying the late fee.
- We are not responsible for failure to deliver any payment that we have reserved the right to refuse to process as provided in this agreement.
- If you schedule a future-dated or repeating transfer to occur on a day of the month that does not exist (e.g., the 31st of the month), the transfer request will be submitted on the last business day of the month and will be credited to your account on the third business day after the transfer request is submitted.
J. Stopping or modifying bill payments
You may use your electronic device to electronically change both the payment amount and the Deliver By date of any scheduled payment at any time prior to 7 pm ET, on the Send On date. You may also delete any payment at any time prior to 7 pm ET, on the Send On date. You may also stop any payment by calling 888-BBT-ONLINE (888-228-6654), or by writing to BB&T Bill Payment Research, 127 W Webster St, 4th floor, Whiteville, NC 28472, in time for us to receive your request 3 or more business days before the Send On date. If you call, we may also require you to put your request in writing and send it to us within 14 days after you call. Stop payment fees may apply.
K. Liability for failure to stop payment (applicable for consumers only)
If you order us to stop one of your repeating payments 3 business days or more before the Send On date, and we do not do so, we will be liable for your losses or damages.
L. Reviewing payments and payment information
For customers using the personal financial management software, payment information and records of past and future scheduled payments are stored on your electronic device. The number of records that can be stored depends on the amount of your electronic device's memory. For online banking users, payment information and records of past and future scheduled payments are stored within online banking. Refer to Online Help for additional information about retrieving your payment history.
M. Incomplete payments
If we remit your payment to a recipient by mailing your recipient a check, and the check has not been presented for payment, you may contact BB&T if you require assistance in researching your payment by calling 888-BBT-ONLINE (888-228-6654), or by writing to BB&T Bill Payment Research, 127 W Webster St, 4th floor, Whiteville, NC 28472.
V. Transfers among your BB&T accounts
You may use the service to transfer funds between any of your eligible accounts held by us or one of our affiliates, subject to any limits or restrictions we may impose from time to time.
B. Cut-off times for transfers
Transfers between account(s) initiated through the service and received by BB&T by 9 pm ET Monday through Friday will be effective on the current business day. Transfers between account(s) initiated through the service and received after 9 pm ET Monday through Friday, or all day Saturday, Sunday and Federal Reserve holidays will be effective the following business day.
Transfers between account(s) initiated through the service to a business loan account and received by BB&T by 7 pm ET Monday through Friday will be effective on the current business day. Transfers to business loan accounts initiated through the service and received after 7 pm ET Monday through Friday or all day Saturday, Sunday and Federal Reserve holidays will be effective the following business day.
Availability of funds is dependent upon the receiving account type, refer to the applicable account agreement.
C. Limitations on frequency of transfers
The number of transfers between your eligible accounts may be subject to the limitations that apply to the maximum number of automatic or repeating withdrawals from certain types of accounts. Refer to your account agreement for details.
D. Limitations on dollar amount of transfers/bill payments
Except as limited by account type and applicable account agreements:
Each transfer between eligible accounts may range in amounts up to $1,000,000. The maximum aggregate amount that can be transferred between eligible accounts per day is unlimited. Each bill payment from an account may range in amounts up to $100,000. The maximum aggregate bill payment amount that can be paid per day is unlimited.
E. Future transfers
Transfers scheduled for a future date will be effective at midnight ET on the requested date of transfer. For example, a transfer scheduled to occur on Sept. 3, will be effective at midnight ET on Sept. 3. The transfer will be viewable through the service in the available balance on the date of the scheduled transfer. The transfer will be viewable through the service in the transaction history the day following the transfer.
F. Stopping or modifying a scheduled transfer
A scheduled transfer may be stopped or modified at any point prior to the scheduled transfer date. For example, a transfer scheduled for Sept. 3 may be modified or stopped at any time up to 11:59 pm ET on the previous business day.
VI. Outside transfer service (applicable to consumer accounts only)
Within the service, you may separately enroll to transfer funds between your BB&T personal checking and savings accounts and your non-BB&T accounts. Business accounts are not eligible for the Outside Transfer Service. Enrollment of non-BB&T accounts is subject to our approval, which may be withheld in our sole discretion. Once a non-BB&T account is enrolled, you may request us to transfer funds between that non-BB&T account and your BB&T accounts (non-BB&T account transfers).
You must be the sole owner, or a joint owner, of the BB&T account and the non-BB&T account. You will be notified if we are unable to verify your ownership of an account. We may require additional verification of your ownership of any non-BB&T account at any time before or after enrollment and before or after allowing any transfer activity with respect to that account (additional verification). By enrolling a non-BB&T account, you authorize the account-holding institution to disclose to us any information we request about you or the non-BB&T account and agree to cooperate in additional verification, including promptly providing any identification and/or other account documentation we may request.
B. Types of transfers
An inbound transfer moves funds into a BB&T account from a non-BB&T account. An outbound transfer moves funds from a BB&T account to a non-BB&T account. For each inbound and outbound transfer, you may elect one of the following options:
- 3-Business-Day Transfers: If your transfer request is submitted prior to the cut-off time, funds will be debited the business day after you submit the transfer request and will be credited on the third business day after you submit the transfer request. 3-business-day transfers are available to all users of the Outside Transfer Service.
- Next-Day Transfers: Subject to our approval and provided your transfer request is submitted prior to the cut-off time, funds will be debited and credited on the business day after you submit the transfer. Next-day transfers are permitted only at our discretion. Once approved, you will remain eligible for next-day transfers, unless we provide you with notice otherwise. Next-day transfers are not available for future-dated or repeating transfers.
C. Cut-off time
The cut-off time for next-day and 3-business-day transfers is 7 pm ET. Any transfer made after the cut-off time will be submitted the next business day.
D. Future-dated and repeating transfers
- You may schedule both inbound and outbound transfers to occur on a future business day or on a repeating basis, up to one year in advance. The repeating transfer feature may be used when the same amount is transferred at regular intervals. For example, a $100 transfer from your BB&T account to a non-BB&T account may be set up to occur every 2 weeks.
- Your future-dated or repeating transfer requests are submitted on the day in which they are scheduled or the first business day after they are scheduled if that day is not a business day. Funds will then be debited on the first business day after the transfer request is submitted, and will be credited on the third business day after the transfer request is submitted. For example, if a repeating transfer request is scheduled to occur on the first day of each month, and the first of the month falls on a Saturday, the transfer request will be submitted on the first business day in the month, or Monday the third. Funds will then be debited on the fourth and credited on the sixth.
- If you schedule a future-dated or repeating transfer to occur on a day of the month that does not exist (e.g., the thirty-first of the month), the transfer request will be submitted on the last business day of the month and will be credited to your account on the third business day after the transfer request is submitted.
E. Transfer status
You may check the status of any transfer by going to Payments & Transfers in the service. Transfers are pending from the time you request the funds transfer until the transfer is released for processing. A transfer remains in process until the funds have been transferred, at which time the status will change to complete. 3-business-day transfers typically remain in process until the close of the third business day after the transfer is submitted. Next-day transfers may remain in process until the close of the next business day after the transfer is submitted.
F. Cancelling a transfer
Transfers that are in pending status can be canceled within the service. However, if the transfer status is in process or completed, you can no longer cancel it. If you need assistance with canceling a transfer, call us at 888-BBT-ONLINE (888-228-6654). If you attempt to cancel a pending transfer in accordance with these instructions and we do not do so, we will be liable for your losses or damages.
G. Transfer limits
For non-BB&T account transfer limits, please refer to our Outside Transfer Service: Fees, Limits, and Cut-off Times schedule as amended from time to time, which is available in Customer Service within the service and is incorporated herein by reference. Transfer limits apply to all non-BB&T account transfers. Any transfer submitted on a day that is not a business day counts toward the applicable limit for the next business day. We may change the non-BB&T account transfer limits at any time. We will provide notice to you of any decrease in the transfer limits; but you agree that we may reduce your limits to the amounts stated in the Outside Transfer Service: Fees, Limits and Cut-off Times without prior notice. In addition, there may be limits on the number of transfers per month from certain types of accounts, such as saving accounts. Refer to your BB&T Bank Services Agreement or your deposit agreement with the account-holding institution.
H. Cancellation and suspension
We may cancel or suspend your use of the Outside Transfer Service or disqualify any BB&T account or non-BB&T account from eligibility to conduct non-BB&T account transfers without prior notice.
VII. Additional services
A. Online statements
You may elect to stop or resume the mailing of paper statements for eligible accounts by changing your statement delivery preferences on the Statements page within online banking. Only accounts accessible through online banking may be enrolled for online statement delivery. Eligible accounts are displayed on the Statements page in online banking. If you currently receive a consolidated periodic statement that includes multiple accounts and you select online statement delivery, all accounts shown on the consolidated statement will be automatically enrolled for online statement delivery. For joint accounts, only one account owner need enroll for online statement delivery.
If you receive canceled checks with your periodic statement and choose to receive your periodic statement through online statement delivery, you will no longer receive canceled checks in the mail.
Your statement will be available within 24 hours after the statement cut-off date. The statement cut-off date for your online statement is the same as your paper statement. You may view, print and download your current statement and up to 24 months of statement history.
We may deliver information to you about your eligible accounts through the online banking Secure Message Center, email, US Postal Service or within the online statement. It is your responsibility to notify us if your contact information changes. To notify us of a change in your contact information, log on to online banking and select Manage Account Profile from Customer Service.
We may continue to mail information to you, including any information you have authorized us to provide to you electronically. We may discontinue the online statement service at any time at our discretion and resume mailing paper statements to you. We may also add, modify or delete any feature of the online statements service at our discretion. We will provide you with notice of any change or termination in the online statement service.
All of your payments and transfers made through the service will appear on your periodic account statement. The recipient name, payment amount and withdrawal date will be reflected for each payment made through the service.
B. Check and deposit images
You may view digital images of recent canceled (paid) checks and deposit slips. Online images may be viewed only for such periods of time as we may establish, after which copies are normally available from our archives upon request (we may charge a fee for such copies).
As is common industry practice with various check truncation or safekeeping services, we destroy the original items but retain the images for at least the number of years required by law. If an image of a check is missing or is illegible, we will attempt to provide you with a legible copy upon your request, if you give us adequate information to identify the specific check. However, we will have no liability to you if we are unable to provide a copy within your requested timeframe, or at all, due to any reason other than our gross negligence, willful misconduct or criminal conduct. We reserve the right to charge a fee for such requests in some circumstances, such as when the image is missing or illegible due to circumstances beyond our control.
C. Balance inquiries
You may use the service to check the balance of your accounts. The balances shown may differ from your records because they may not include deposits not available for withdrawal, outstanding checks or other withdrawals, payments or charges.
D. Mobile banking service
- General. The mobile banking service allows you to perform various functions, including viewing account balances and transaction information, bill payments and transferring funds.
- Equipment Requirements. You must have email access and/or mobile text messaging capability. Expanded functionalities are available to users with web-enabled wireless devices or through third-party software, which may be downloaded to compatible wireless devices or which is pre-loaded on certain devices available through select wireless providers. You are solely responsible for your choice of equipment, wireless carriers, Internet or email service providers, web browsers, voice/data plans, etc., and for resolving any issues concerning operation, performance, availability, costs, etc., relating to any of the foregoing with the appropriate provider. Your wireless or Internet service provider may charge additional fees.
- Security. We do not store confidential or sensitive information such as passwords or account numbers on your wireless device in connection with the services; however, user IDs may be stored on your wireless device based on the personal setting you establish on your device. You should safeguard your wireless device, user ID and password against loss or theft. If your device is lost or stolen, report it immediately to your wireless provider. Except as provided in this agreement, we have no responsibility or liability if someone else learns your user ID and password and uses it to access the services.
- Licensing Terms for Users of Third-Party Software. If you access the mobile banking service through software downloaded to or pre-loaded on your wireless device (software), you agree to the following licensing terms (terms):
BB&T and the third-party software providers reserve all rights to the copyrighted software not expressly granted herein. You may use the software solely for accessing the service subject to the terms. You may not do any of the following to the software: (i) modify, revise or create any derivative works; (ii) decompile, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to derive the source code; (iii) redistribute, sell, rent, lease, sublicense or otherwise transfer rights; or (iv) remove or alter any proprietary notices, legends, symbols or labels, including, but not limited to, any trademark, logo or copyright. Neither the software licensor nor the wireless network provider is responsible for any of the materials, information and financial products or services made available to you through the software.
For more information about mobile security, please visit our mobile security page.
E. Alerts service
- General. The alerts service allows you to receive various types of alerts concerning the accounts you select through email and/or text message to your wireless device and where applicable, notification methods available with the BB&T Mobile App for your smartphone. You are responsible for providing accurate contact information to receive alerts. Some types of alerts are optional, and some are mandatory. To cancel optional alerts, you may text stop to 69228 (MYBBT) at any time or visit the BB&T website. For support information, text help to 69228 (MYBBT) or visit the BB&T website.
- Equipment Requirements. You must have email access and/or mobile text messaging capability. You are solely responsible for your choice of equipment, wireless carriers, Internet or email service providers, web browsers, voice/data plans, etc. and for resolving any issues concerning operation, performance, availability, costs, etc., relating to any of the foregoing with the appropriate provider.
- Security. We do not store confidential or sensitive information such as user IDs, passwords or account numbers on your wireless device in connection with the services. You should safeguard your wireless device, user ID and password against loss or theft. You should delete any alerts or other text messages sent or received in connection with any service. We have no responsibility or liability to you or any other person in connection with any such messages you choose to save on your wireless device. If your device is lost or stolen, report it immediately to your wireless provider.
- Disclaimer. The information in any alert may be subject to certain lag times or delays in transmission and we make no representation concerning either the currency or accuracy of any alert. Frequency of alerts is based on your account settings. Alerts are provided as a convenience only and should never be considered as an official bank record or as a substitute for the information contained in your periodic statements. We may provide important information to you through other methods, including electronic messaging within the service.
- BB&T Fraud Alerts. BB&T Fraud Alerts is a free service that automatically notifies you of suspicious activity on your debit and/or credit card accounts via text, email and/or automated phone call. Message frequency varies and is dependent upon card use. You may opt out of receiving texts at any time by sending STOP to 22848. For help send HELP to 22848. Mobile carriers are not liable for delayed or undelivered messages.
F. Electronic messaging
The service provides you with the ability to send and receive electronic messages to and from us. Please remember we will not immediately receive an electronic message sent by you. No action will be made on any electronic message you send to us until we actually receive your message and have a reasonable opportunity to act on it.
Electronic messaging CANNOT be used to notify us of forgotten or stolen user IDs or passwords; nor can electronic messaging be used to notify us of unauthorized transactions. Notification of these occurrences must be done as specified in the Contact in Event of Unauthorized Transfer section in this agreement. From time to time, we may send important notices to you concerning your use of the service by electronic messaging. The electronic messaging service may not be used to send or receive email messages to or from the general public.
VIII. Contact in event of unauthorized transfer
If you believe your user ID and password have been forgotten or stolen, or that someone has transferred or may transfer money from your account(s) without your permission, call:
BB&T Online Banking Support
2586 James B White Hwy North
Whiteville, NC 28472
IX. Liability provisions applicable to consumer accounts only
The following provisions apply in the event you believe there has been an unauthorized transfer from your consumer account. Please refer to the applicable account agreement for other important disclosures regarding your rights and responsibilities.
A. Your liability
Tell us at once if you believe your user ID and password have been forgotten or stolen. Calling is the best way of keeping your possible losses down. You could lose all the money in your account plus your maximum overdraft line of credit. If you believe your user ID and password have been forgotten or stolen, and you tell us within 2 business days after you learn of the loss or theft, you can lose no more than $50 if someone used your user ID and password without your permission.
If you do not tell us within 2 business days after you learn of the loss or theft of your user ID and password, and we can prove we could have stopped someone from using your user ID and password without your permission if you had told us, you could lose as much as $500.
Also, if your statement shows transfers you did not make, tell us at once. If you do not tell us within 60 days after the statement was mailed to you or otherwise made available to you, you may not get back any money you lost after the 60 days if we can prove we could have stopped someone from taking the money if you had told us in time.
If a good reason, such as a long trip or a hospital stay, kept you from telling us, we will extend the time periods.
B. Bank liability for transfers
If we do not complete a transfer to or from your account on time or in the correct amount according to our agreement with you, we will be liable for your losses or damages. This liability is in addition to the payment guarantee for bill payments. However, there are some exceptions. We will not be liable, for instance:
- If, through no fault of ours, you do not have enough money in your account to make the transfer or payment.
- If the transfer or payment would go over the credit limit on your overdraft line.
- If the funds in your account are subject to legal process or other encumbrance restricting such transfer.
- If the service, your electronic device, or modem is not working properly and you know about the malfunction when you started the transfer or payment.
- If a recipient mishandles or causes delays in handling payments sent by us.
- If you have not provided us with the correct recipient name, address, account information or payment amount.
- If circumstances beyond our control prevent the proper completion of the transaction despite reasonable precautions by us to avoid these circumstances. Such circumstances include, but are not limited to, fire, flood, delay in US Mail, interruption in your electrical power or telephone, the disconnecting of your telephone line by your local telephone company or from deficiencies in your line quality or any defect or malfunction of your electronic device, operating software, modem or telephone line.
- If you have not properly followed the instructions for using the service or the personal financial management software.
- If the account holding institution fails to timely credit an outbound transfer to your non-BB&T account for reasons beyond our control.
- If we have the right to refuse to process a payment or transfer as provided in this agreement.
C. Error resolution notice
In case of errors or questions about your electronic transfers call us at:
BB&T Online Banking Support
2586 James B White Hwy North
Whiteville, NC 28472
Contact BB&T as soon as you can if you think your statement or information regarding a transaction is wrong or you need more information about a transfer listed on the statement. We must hear from you no later than 60 days after we sent the first statement on which the problem or error appeared. When contacting BB&T regarding an error resolution, please be prepared to communicate the following information:
- Your name and Social Security number or tax identification number.
- The error or the transfer you are unsure about, and explain as clearly as you can why you believe it is an error or why you need more information.
- The dollar amount of the suspected error.
If you tell us orally, we may require you send us your complaint or question in writing within 10 business days. We will tell you the results of our investigation within 10 business days after we hear from you and will correct any error promptly. If we need more time, however, we may take up to 45 days to investigate your complaint or question. If we decide to do this, we will credit your account within 10 business days for the amount you think is in error, so you will have use of the money during the time it takes us to complete our investigation. If we ask you to put your complaint or question in writing and we do not receive it within 10 business days, we may not credit your account.
If we decide that there was no error, we will send you a written explanation within 3 business days after we finish our investigation. You may ask for copies of the documents that we used in our investigation.
X. Liability provisions applicable to business accounts
Except as may be specifically provided in Section IX (Liability Provisions Applicable to Consumer Accounts), and as provided below, you will use the services at your sole risk, including the risk of erroneous or fraudulent transactions. Please refer to the applicable account agreement for other important disclosures regarding your rights and responsibilities.
We will be responsible for performing the services we agree to provide to you as described in this agreement, using substantially the same degree of skill and care we generally apply in performing services for our other clients. Our liability will be limited to: (i) restoration, as soon as reasonably practicable, of any interrupted service; (ii) re-performance of the affected service at our expense, e.g., correcting, reversing or otherwise making accurate any errors in performance; or (iii) failing (i) and (ii) above, compensation to you for any actual monetary damages you incur as a result of our material breach of this agreement or our gross negligence, willful misconduct or criminal conduct in performing or failing to perform the affected service. Except as otherwise expressly provided in this agreement, our liability will not exceed the lesser of: (1) the actual amount of such damages or (2) the aggregate amount of fees you paid to us for the affected service during the 12-month period immediately preceding the date on which such damages occurred, or such lesser number of months that you have received the service.
XI. Disclaimer of warranty; exclusion of damages
We are not responsible for any loss, damage or injury resulting from an interruption in the availability of the service, or any computer virus you may encounter using the service. We encourage you to routinely scan your electronic device using a reliable virus protection product to detect and remove viruses from your electronic device.
A. Disclaimer of warranty
UNLESS SPECIFICALLY PROVIDED TO THE CONTRARY IN THIS AGREEMENT OR UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN AS IS, AS AVAILABLE BASIS, AND WE MAKE NO WARRANTY, WHETHER STATUTORY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON REGARDING ANY SERVICES, OR ANY SOFTWARE OR EQUIPMENT USED IN CONNECTION THEREWITH, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NONINFRINGEMENT.
B. Exclusion of damages
EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE PROVIDED IN THIS AGREEMENT OR BY LAW, WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS, INJURY, OR DAMAGE WHETHER DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL, CAUSED BY THE SERVICE OR THE USE THEREOF OR ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE INSTALLATION, USE OR MAINTENANCE OF THE FINANCIAL SOFTWARE, EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR LOSSES.
You may terminate your use of the service at any time by visiting your local BB&T financial center, by calling BB&T Online Support at 888-BBT-ONLINE (888-228-6654) or by writing to us at BB&T Online Banking Support, 2586 James B White Hwy North, Whiteville, NC 28472. You must notify us at least 10 days prior to the date on which you wish to have your service terminated. We may require that you put your request in writing. If you have scheduled payments within this 10-day period, you also must separately cancel those payments pursuant to the Stopping and Modifying Bill Payments Section of this agreement. If we have not completed processing your termination request and you have not otherwise canceled a payment, you will be responsible for payments scheduled during the 10 days following our receipt of your written notice of termination and all accrued fees and charges. If there is more than one account owner or if more than one person is authorized to access the account through the service, we may terminate the service upon the request of any account owner or person authorized to access the account.
We may terminate your use of the service, in whole or in part, at any time without notice. Upon termination, you will remain liable for payments, transfers and other transactions in process and all accrued fees and charges.
You agree to pay the fees specified in the current Online Banking Fee Schedule as amended from time to time, which are available in Customer Service within the service, and which are incorporated herein by reference.
We reserve the right to determine whether you are using the service as a consumer or as a business or both and to adjust your monthly fees accordingly. Monthly fees may be changed with advance notice. In addition, stop payment fees and other service charges may apply. For example, there may be additional fees charged against your accounts if a transaction you initiate using the service causes any of your accounts to be overdrawn, exceed the maximum permissible number of transactions for the accounts or exceed any other qualifiers for the accounts. Refer to the account agreement and the associated pricing guides for these fees.
You authorize BB&T to deduct all applicable subscription, service and use fees for the service from your service charge account. If we are unable to deduct all applicable fees from your service charge account for any reason (e.g., the account has been closed or there are not sufficient funds in the account), you authorize BB&T to deduct all applicable fees for the service from any of your other accounts. You may designate a different account for service charge deductions, by notifying a local financial center, calling BB&T Online Support at 888-BBT-ONLINE (888-228-6654) or by using online banking.
A. Entire agreement
This agreement constitutes the complete and exclusive agreement related to the service and supplements the software license agreements, the account agreements and any other agreement or disclosure related to your accounts. In the event of a conflict between this agreement and any other agreement or disclosure related to your accounts or any statement by our employees or agents, this agreement shall control as to the subject matter addressed herein.
No delay or omission by us in exercising any rights or remedies hereunder shall impair such right or remedy or be construed as a waiver of any such right or remedy. Any single or partial exercise of a right or remedy shall not preclude further exercise or the exercise of any other right or remedy. No waiver shall be valid unless in writing and signed by us.
You may not assign this agreement to any other party. We may assign this agreement or delegate any or all of our rights and responsibilities under this agreement to any third parties.
D. Governing law
This agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of North Carolina, without regard to that state's conflict of laws provisions.
E. Compliance with applicable laws
Any user of this service shall comply with all applicable laws. We reserve the right to refuse to process any transaction we reasonably believe violates applicable law or we believe is made in connection with any unlawful transaction or activity, including without limitation, gaming, gambling, lottery or similar activities. We will notify you if we do not process a transaction.
We may amend this agreement from time to time by posting the amended agreement on our website along with a notice this agreement has been amended or by any other reasonable notification method. You may obtain the most recent version of this agreement by visiting our website or calling 888-BBT-ONLINE (888-228-6654) to request a copy. Continued use of the service following notice of amendment constitutes acceptance of any amendments to this agreement.
If any provision of this agreement is determined to be void or invalid, the remainder of this agreement shall remain in full force and effect.
H. Service hours
The service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, except during maintenance periods, for the scheduling, modification or review of payment orders and for initiation of funds transfers and balance inquiries. Please refer to the description of each service for specific processing schedules and cut-off times.
I. Business days
Our business days are Monday through Friday excluding Federal Reserve holidays.
J. Service notifications
We may add, modify or discontinue the service at any time, including placing or changing restrictions/limits on the types or amounts of transfers or payments or changing the terms and conditions governing the service. We may send you electronic notifications concerning the services, including notice of a change or termination of the service. We may also temporarily suspend your use of the service at any time for security reasons or any other reason in our discretion. We have no responsibility or liability for service unavailability, interruptions or delays due to any cause.
Subject to applicable law, we will disclose information to third parties about you and your accounts or the transfers you make: (i) where it is necessary for completing transfers; or (ii) to verify the existence and condition of your account for a third party, such as a credit bureau or merchant; (iii) to comply with government agency or court orders; (iv) if you give us permission; (v) as stated in the BB&T Corporation Consumer Privacy Notice; and (vi) as otherwise required or permitted by law or government regulation.
L. Access to other products and services
BB&T may provide you access to other financial products and/or services offered by BB&T, its affiliates, or third parties with whom we have contracted. Access to these products or services may be provided through the use of hyperlinks within the service. You agree when you use these other services, you will be subject to any terms and conditions applicable to the particular product or service. In the event of a conflict between this agreement and any terms and conditions applicable to other services, this agreement shall control as to the subject matter addressed herein.
M. Arbitration agreement
Any dispute arising from or relating to your account, this agreement, or any transaction conducted through the service will at your election or our election be resolved by binding arbitration in accordance with the arbitration agreement contained in the applicable account agreement.