Best if you
- Can save $50 or more a month for college
- Need to save for future educational expenses—for your child, a friend or even yourself
- Want term options of 36, 48 or 60 months with automatic renewal
- No penalty to withdraw up to four times per year if the funds are used for college-related expenses Disclosure 1
- No monthly fees
- Convenient grace periods
- The minimum to open a College Saver CD is $100
- A draft of at least $50 or more per month from a BB&T checking or savings account is required
- The account balance must be less than $100,000
- Interest is compounded daily based on collected balances
Not convinced yet?
The College Saver CD includes a number of extras plus convenient access options.
Enjoy these additional benefits
- Have peace of mind with FDIC insurance protection
- Simplify your savings with automatic renewals
- Retain the option to use your savings as loan collateral
Keep tabs on your account
- Use U by BB&T® our customizable online and mobile banking experience, to monitor your BB&T and non-BB&T accounts, pay bills, set and track spending, manage your receipts and more
- Receive important account alerts by email or text
- Choose online statements for convenient access to your account statements from your computer or mobile device
How Much Should I Save for College? (Calculator)
Determine your savings goals to attend the college of your choice.
Ready to get started?
Not convinced that a College Saver CD is right for you?
See our Bank Services Agreement (PDF)see our Bank Services Agreement for more information.
Any withdrawn funds must have been on deposit for at least seven days and no other withdrawals may have been made in the preceding six days.
Fees from your mobile or data carrier may apply. A monthly service fee applies if you choose to access your online banking financial data through QuickBooks® or Quicken® Direct Connect.
The information provided is not intended to be legal, tax, or financial advice. BB&T hopes you find this information useful but we cannot guarantee that it is accurate, up to date, or appropriate for your situation. Financial calculators are provided to assist you in estimating the approximate costs associated with any bank activity. Your actual costs may vary. You should consult with a qualified attorney or financial advisor to understand how the law applies to your particular circumstances or for financial information specific to your personal or business situation.
Branch Banking and Trust Company, Member FDIC.
New York City residents: Translation or other language access services may be available. When calling our office regarding collection activity, if you speak a language other than English and need verbal translation services, be sure to inform the representative. A description and translation of commonly-used debt collection terms is available in multiple languages at www.nyc.gov/dca.
Branch Banking and Trust Company is now Truist Bank. Learn more.
BB&T and SunTrust have merged to become Truist. Both institutions will continue to offer independent product lines for a period of time. This may include differing underwriting guidelines, product features, terms, fees and pricing. Our friendly teammates at your local SunTrust branches will be happy to walk you through their respective products. You can also learn more by contacting them at 800-SUNTRUST or SunTrust.com.