Financial wellness in motion
BB&T@Work is designed to help you take control of your financial future, offering resources needed to succeed in your financial life. When your employer is a BB&T@Work member company, you have access to take advantage of Elite@Work Checking, an exclusive package of discounts and savings on BB&T financial products and services.
Best if you
- Are an employee of a participating company
- Are able to set up direct deposit
- Want free access to online financial training
- Would like financial reviews from a BB&T personal banker
- Unlimited no-BB&T-fee transactions at non-BB&T ATMs1
- Free first order of personalized checks
- Bonus interest rates on CDs and IRAs2
- Two overdraft protection transfer fees per statement cycle are waived3
- Unlimited no-fee money orders and official checks
$100 minimum opening deposit
4 different ways to avoid the $15 maintenance fee by maintaining:
- $750 combined ACH direct deposits per statement cycle or
- $1,000 average checking balance per statement cycle or
- $15,000 combined deposit and/or investment balance or
- $150,000 BB&T mortgage (original loan amount)4,5
Other fees may apply; please see our Personal Services Pricing Guide for details6
See all pricing and fees.
Not convinced yet?
BB&T@Work includes a number of extras plus convenient access options.
Enjoy these additional benefits
- One no-penalty early CD withdrawal for medical emergencies2
- No-fee 3" x 5" safe deposit box, or a $40 discount on other sizes (subject to availability)
- Unlimited person-to-person calls through BB&T Phone24 at 800-BANK-BBT (800-226-5228)
- Opportunities to earn cash back on your purchase through BB&T Deals
Keep tabs on your account
- Use U by BB&T®, our customizable online and mobile banking experience, to monitor your BB&T and non-BB&T accounts, pay bills, set and track spending, manage your receipts and more
- Receive important account alerts by email or text
- Choose online statements for convenient access to your account statements from your computer or mobile device
What can U do for me?
See how U by BB&T can make managing your money easy and convenient.
So what exactly is U? Here’s the two-minute version.
U is based on the idea that everyone’s finances are unique and that managing your money should be simple. Let’s take a look inside.
First of all, you can still do all the basics. It’s very easy to see your balances, transfer money, pay bills, and deposit checks.
But now we’ve separated all of the features into tiles, like you see here. And here’s the cool part: You can create and customize your own financial dashboard based on what’s important to you.
So, what if you’re all about rewards? Move your credit card rewards to the top of your dashboard so it’s the first thing you see when you log in. Or maybe you want to move your categorized spending from here to here.
Even colors are your choice. Make U your own with a variety of new color themes.
Or say you don’t want any of this. Say you want the cleanest dashboard possible. Well, you can skip the fancy tiles and have that, too.
But that’s not all. There are a lot of new features, too.
For example, now you can see all of your accounts, not just with BB&T.
Paying your friends is way easier than it used to be, too. You can pay anyone directly with just their email address or mobile phone number.
You get a real banker that you can connect with, or schedule appointments on your time.
With Quick View Balance, you can see balances without logging in.
You can set your own customized budget with our Plan and Analyze tools, and we’ll track your progress as you go.
This is the new receipt tile. It helps you capture and store your receipts, even attach them to your transactions. No more paper needed.
What you see today is only the beginning. We’ll continue to add new features that help make your life a little easier and help you make better financial decisions.
Then we want to hear about them from you. You can tell us if you like them, or if they need more work, and what we should build next. Because at the end of the day, it’s your bank, it’s your money, and it’s all about you, and that’s what U is all about. Log on or enroll today.
How much should I save?
Knowing how much to save in your workplace retirement plan can help to ensure a comfortable retirement.
Find the right amount
Industry experts recommend saving 10 to 15% of your annual pre-tax pay, including any company match available.
That's a good starting point, but be careful with "one size fits all" strategies—especially where savings and investing are concerned. For example, an unmarried CPA with no debt would have a markedly different approach from that of a first-year teacher with two children and $10,000 in credit-card debt.
The key is to find a percentage you can live with, contribute as much as you can now, and strive to increase your savings each year.
Start saving wisely
Here are a few simple steps to help get you started:
- Draft a budget and determine how much you can reduce expenses to pay off debt or save for retirement.
- If your employer offers a workplace retirement plan, try to contribute at least enough to get your company's matching contribution. Otherwise you'll be leaving free money on the table.
- Pay off credit cards or other high-interest debt. Try to pay the maximum amount you can afford each month. Making only the minimum payment due will cost you more in interest and it will take much longer to pay off your balance.
- Build up an emergency savings fund to cover about 6 months of living expenses.
- Increase your retirement savings each year until you reach at least 10 to 15% of your pay.
Consider other strategies
One of the best ways to increase your retirement savings is to contribute more to your retirement plan every time your pay increases. Another is to reduce your spending and instead, invest that money promptly.
Simple changes, like bringing your lunch to work, cutting out cable TV, and canceling subscriptions can make a difference for your retirement future.
Ready to get started?
Not convinced that a BB&T@Work checking account is right for you?