Best if you
- Are at least 55 years of age
- Want to avoid maintenance fees—2 easy ways to qualify
- Want a conventional checking account with access to online and mobile banking
- Option to personalize your debit card
- Free wallet-style checks with a BB&T design, or a $6 discount on other designs
- One no-penalty early CD withdrawal for medical emergencies Disclosure 1
- Available overdraft protection
$100 minimum opening deposit
2 different ways to avoid the $10 maintenance fee each statement cycle:
- $500 combined direct deposits or
- $1,000 average checking balance
See all pricing and fees.
Our most powerful banking tools are in your hands
Make deposits, send and receive money, and pay bills at your convenience.
Mobile check deposit
Deposit checks in seconds with U by BB&T—and get access to your funds the next business day. Disclosure 2
Not a fan of checks and cash? Send money to a trusted friend or family member with just a few taps.
Receive, pay, and file your bills in one place. It's easy, secure—and free to enroll.
Not convinced yet?
Senior Checking includes a number of extras plus convenient access options.
Enjoy these additional benefits
- Free access to over 2,400 BB&T ATMs
- Securely deposit checks from your smartphone or tablet with mobile check deposit Disclosure 3
- Unlimited automated account information through BB&T Phone24 at 800-BANK-BBT (800-226-5228)
- U by BB&T money management tools, including a customizable dashboard, cash back with BB&T Deals and personal payments
Keep tabs on your account
- Use U by BB&T®, our customizable online and mobile banking experience, to monitor your BB&T and non-BB&T accounts, pay bills, set and track spending, manage your receipts and more
- Receive important account alerts by email or text
- Choose online statements for convenient access to your account statements from your computer or mobile device
Ready to get started?
Am I Saving Enough for Retirement? (Calculator)
Find out if you're on track to meet your retirement goals with this handy calculator.
Understanding Your Overdraft Options (Video)
Learn how to manage your accounts with overdraft protection and overdraft review.
What Can U Do for Me? (Video)
See how U by BB&T can make managing your money easy and convenient.
Ready to get started?
Not convinced that a Senior Checking account is right for you?
Select your state
See our Bank Services Agreement (PDF)see our Bank Services Agreement for more information.
Learn more about your account, including fees and ways you can avoid them.
A penalty may be imposed for early withdrawal from certificates of deposits (CDs).
Availability of Funds: Your deposit is generally available the next business day. We will notify you if we need to hold your deposit for further verification. Mobile check deposits received on weekends, bank holidays and Monday through Friday after 8 pm ET are processed the following business day.
Account eligibility requirements apply. Mobile check deposit is available for iPhone, iPod with camera, iPad version 2 and higher, iPad mini and Android. A camera is required.
Fees from your mobile or data carrier may apply. A monthly service fee applies if you choose to access your online banking financial data through QuickBooks® or Quicken® Direct Connect.
Subject to credit approval.
Truist Bank, Member FDIC and an Equal Housing Lender.
New York City residents: Translation or other language access services may be available. When calling our office regarding collection activity, if you speak a language other than English and need verbal translation services, be sure to inform the representative. A description and translation of commonly-used debt collection terms is available in multiple languages at www.nyc.gov/dca.
Branch Banking and Trust Company is now Truist Bank. Learn more.
BB&T and SunTrust have merged to become Truist. Both institutions will continue to offer independent product lines for a period of time. This may include differing underwriting guidelines, product features, terms, fees and pricing. Our friendly teammates at your local SunTrust branches will be happy to walk you through their respective products. You can also learn more by contacting them at 800-SUNTRUST or SunTrust.com.