Protecting Your Credit Cards
Verified by Visa
BB&T has partnered with Visa to provide you an extra layer of security while you shop online. Verified by Visa enables BB&T to validate your identity during online payment transactions at participating merchants. If the online merchant accepts Verified by Visa you will be prompted to enter your own previously created password in addition to your cardholder information. BB&T then validates the online transaction and lets the merchant know the results of this authentication.
When you use BB&T MasterCard online to pay for purchases from participating merchants, a pop-up box will appear asking you for your personal SecureCode. This SecureCode is a password known only to you, just like an ATM PIN, that adds an extra layer of protection to your online purchases. Verifying your SecureCode takes just seconds and then your purchase can be completed.
If you don't already have a SecureCode, you can register online.
Credit Card Security Tips
- Choose your PIN wisely - Ensure the Personal Identification Number (PIN) you select is unique and not easily identifiable (e.g. birth date, phone number, etc.). If you own multiple cards, use different PIN numbers across your cards.
- Protect your PIN - Memorize all your PINs, such as your ATM or debit card PIN and online passwords. Do not keep these numbers in your wallet or purse.
- Register your cards - Register your credit cards, ATM, check and debit cards with a liability protection service.
- Keep a record of your card information - Keep a secure list of your card account and customer services numbers in case your cards are lost or stolen.
- Use secure sites when shopping online - If you are shopping online, don't provide your personal or financial information through a company's website until you have checked for indicators that the site is secure, like a lock icon on the browser's status bar or a website URL that begins "https:" (the "s" stands for " secure"). Unfortunately, no indicator is a guarantee; make sure the site you are shopping on is a trusted source.
- Check your statements regularly - Monitor your card transaction activity on your bank statements. For added protection, monitor frequently online.
- Sign your cards- Upon receipt of your card ensure that you sign the back signature panel.
- Report suspicious behavior immediately - To report suspicious card activity, or lost/stolen cards, please contact BB&T Phone 24 at 800-BANK-BBT (800-226-5228).