Why provide a Health Savings Account?
A Health Savings Account (HSA) is an attractive benefit option increasingly expected by employees. It allows employees to pay for qualified out-of-pocket medical expensesFootnote Disclosure 1 tax free. The account is simple to use with an HSA debit card and is funded by the employer and/or employee. Funds can accumulate from year to year, and savings accrue interest, allowing participants to save for future expenses. The account must be linked to a qualified high-deductible health plan (HDHP), saving money for both you and your employee.
- Employer contributions are tax free
- Employee contributions through payroll deduction reduce employer taxes
- Reduced health plan premium costs
- Employees control spending, likely resulting in reduced utilization costs
The following services are offered through SHDR, a division of McGriff Insurance Services:
- Plan design and account setup
- Electronic enrollment and payroll deduction
- Benefits communication, including participant video
- Reimbursement administration
- Online account management
Note: Maximum annual contribution limits apply.
- Contributions are tax free
- Withdrawals for eligible health care costs are tax free
- Year-end balance rolls over, and savings accrue interest tax free
- Excess balance can be easily invested using an investment sweep subaccount
- Benefit Access Visa® Debit Card allows easy access to funds
- Account is portable if employee changes jobs or retires
- Online account management
Note: Maximum annual contribution limits apply.
An HSA must be linked to an IRS-qualified HDHP, which, for 2018, includes these features:
- Deductible of at least $1,350 for individual coverage or $2,700 for family coverage Disclosure 2 Disclosure 2
- Annual out-of-pocket expenses (including deductibles and copays) not exceeding $6,650 for individuals ($6,750 in 2019) or $13,300 for families ($13,500 in 2019) Disclosure 2 Footnotedd
The mutual funds investment sweep option is available when an account balance reaches $2,000.
The 2018 contribution limits are as follows:
- For single coverage, annual contribution limit of $3,450 Disclosure 2 Footnote
- For family coverage, annual contribution limit of $6,900 Disclosure 2 Footnote
The 2019 contribution limits are as follows:
Online account access
Plan sponsors and participants have 24/7 access to account information and educational material online.
- Employer access
- Enroll new participants
- Update employee addresses and other personal information
- View consolidated accounts
- Generate reports
- Find answers to common employee questions
- Employee access
- Check balance and personal information
- Pay medical expenses online
- Review lists of eligible expenses
- Use tools and calculators
- Get answers to common questions
Ready to get started?
Leave us your contact information, and we'll call or email you.
Weekdays from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm ET
Qualified medical expenses are defined by the IRS, and may change periodically.
These figures are adjusted annually for inflation.
The information provided should not be considered as tax or legal advice. Please consult with your tax advisor and/or attorney regarding your individual circumstances.
Past performance of mutual funds, annuities and other investments does not guarantee future results. An investor should consider the fund's investment objectives, risks, and charges and expenses carefully before investing or sending money. This and other important information about the investment company can be found in the fund's prospectus. To obtain a prospectus, please go to SterlingCapitalFunds.com(opens in a new tab). Please read the prospectus carefully before investing.
Investment and Insurance Products:
• Are not FDIC or any other government agency insured • Are not bank guaranteed • May lose value
Truist, BB&T®, Sterling Capital®, SunTrust®, SunTrust PortfolioView, Truist Securities®, SunTrust Premier Program®, AMC Pinnacle®, AMC Premier®, Access 3®, Signature Advantage Brokerage, Custom Choice Loan®, SunTrust SummitView®, and GFO Advisory Services® are service marks of Truist Financial Corporation. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Services provided by the following affiliates of Truist Financial Corporation: Banking products and services, including loans and deposit accounts, are provided by SunTrust Bank and Branch Banking and Trust Company, both now Truist Bank, Member FDIC. Trust and investment management services are provided by SunTrust Bank and Branch Banking and Trust Company, both now Truist Bank, and SunTrust Delaware Trust Company. Securities, brokerage accounts and/or insurance (including annuities) are offered by Truist Investment Services, Inc. (d/b/a SunTrust Investment Services, Inc.) and P.J. Robb Variable Corp., which are SEC registered broker-dealers, members FINRA, SIPC, and a licensed insurance agency where applicable. Investment advisory services are offered by Truist Advisory Services, Inc. (d/b/a SunTrust Advisory Services, Inc.), GFO Advisory Services, LLC, Sterling Capital Management, LLC, Precept Advisory Group, LLC, and BB&T Institutional Investment Advisors, Inc., each SEC registered investment advisers. Sterling Capital Funds are advised by Sterling Capital Management, LLC. Mortgage products and services are offered through SunTrust Mortgage, a tradename for SunTrust Bank now Truist Bank. Life insurance products are offered through Truist Life Insurance Services, a division of Crump Life Insurance Services, Inc., AR license #100103477, a wholly owned subsidiary of Truist Insurance Holdings, Inc.
"Truist Advisors" may be officers and/or associated persons of the following affiliates of Truist Financial Corporation: SunTrust Bank now Truist Bank, our commercial bank, which provides banking, trust and asset management services; Truist Investment Services, Inc., a registered broker-dealer, which is a member of FINRA and SIPC, and a licensed insurance agency, and which provides securities, annuities and life insurance products; Truist Advisory Services, Inc., an SEC registered investment adviser which provides Investment Advisory services.
Comments regarding tax implications are informational only. Truist and its representatives do not provide tax or legal advice. You should consult your individual tax or legal professional before taking any action that may have tax or legal consequences.
Truist Wealth, International Wealth, Center for Family Legacy, Business Owner Specialty Group, Sports and Entertainment Group, and Legal and Medical Specialty Groups are marketing names used by affiliates of Truist Financial Corporation.
Truist Securities is the trade name for the corporate and investment banking services of Truist Financial Corporation and its subsidiaries, including Truist Securities, Inc., member FINRA and SIPC.
Branch Banking and Trust Company, Member FDIC.
New York City residents: Translation or other language access services may be available. When calling our office regarding collection activity, if you speak a language other than English and need verbal translation services, be sure to inform the representative. A description and translation of commonly-used debt collection terms is available in multiple languages at www.nyc.gov/dca.
Branch Banking and Trust Company is now Truist Bank. Learn more.
BB&T and SunTrust have merged to become Truist. Both institutions will continue to offer independent product lines for a period of time. This may include differing underwriting guidelines, product features, terms, fees and pricing. Our friendly teammates at your local SunTrust branches will be happy to walk you through their respective products. You can also learn more by contacting them at 800-SUNTRUST or SunTrust.com.