Confidential information includes Social Security numbers, driver's license numbers, account numbers, medical information, personal identification numbers and other information that may be considered confidential based on its sensitivity or personal nature.
BB&T | SunTrust, now Truist uses a web-based email program hosted by an industry-leading email security provider. The service enables us to send messages protected by strong digital encryption, and then allows you to reply to us securely.
The secure email service protects your confidential information in the following ways:
- Electronic encryption – Sensitive messages are transmitted by a secure encrypted connection. Any information shared through this connection cannot be viewed by others.
- Secure passwords – Your information is protected by a password created by you and known only to you. You'll create this password the first time you receive a secure message from BB&T | SunTrust, now Truist. We recommend that your password contains at least eight characters and be a mixture of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and special characters such as @, #, $, % and &. They should not be based on personal information or words found in a dictionary.
Secure email messaging
The secure email messaging service can be used with any email program and any web browser that supports secure browsing. Only messages that contain confidential information are encrypted. Normal email correspondence will continue to be delivered as standard email.
Each secure message you receive from BB&T | SunTrust, now Truist contains components designed to help identify messages as legitimate:
- You will receive a secure email notification.
- The email address of the BB&T | SunTrust, now Truist sender will be clearly displayed at the top of the message. You can email the sender with non-confidential information to confirm they sent you a secure email. If you're unable to confirm the legitimacy of an email, delete it. When in doubt, consider calling the sender to determine an alternate method of communication.
- Links contained in secure email notifications will take you directly to the logon page. You'll never be asked to provide information other than your name, email address and password. If you receive an email asking for any other information—or if the links in the email direct you to an alternate site—delete the email.
Viewing, sending and replying to secure email
Follow these steps to start viewing, sending and replying to messages:
- Click the "securedoc.html" link in the secure message notification.
- Complete the registration form to create your account.
- Once you've accessed the secure message, you can safely reply directly to the original sender.
A few words about passwords
The first time you receive a secure message, you’ll be prompted to register and create a password.
If you're prompted to enter a password the first time you receive a secure message from BB&T | SunTrust, now Truist, it may be that you've previously registered with the secure email service after receiving an email from another sender. If you have already registered, you can use the same password.
You can reset your password by using the security questions you selected when you created your account. Simply click the "Forgot password" link and follow the instructions.
Passwords must be reset every 90 days.
Click on the “More Info” link in the secure email notification to access troubleshooting help. If additional assistance is needed, contact the person who sent you the email.
Interested in online banking?
Fraudulent Emails (Article)
Stay on guard for fake emails and websites designed to steal your financial information.
Identity Theft (Article)
Minimize your risk of identity theft by knowing the warning signs and learning ways to protect yourself, both online and offline.
Protect yourself from scams that could trick you into providing confidential information, and learn what to do if you do get "phished."
Protecting Your Internet Activities and Electronic Data (Article)
With more financial activity occurring online than ever before, it's essential to know how to reduce the risks to your data.
Branch Banking and Trust Company, Member FDIC.
New York City residents: Translation or other language access services may be available. When calling our office regarding collection activity, if you speak a language other than English and need verbal translation services, be sure to inform the representative. A description and translation of commonly-used debt collection terms is available in multiple languages at www.nyc.gov/dca.
Branch Banking and Trust Company is now Truist Bank. Learn more.
BB&T and SunTrust have merged to become Truist. Both institutions will continue to offer independent product lines for a period of time. This may include differing underwriting guidelines, product features, terms, fees and pricing. Our friendly teammates at your local SunTrust branches will be happy to walk you through their respective products. You can also learn more by contacting them at 800-SUNTRUST or SunTrust.com.