FDIC Insurance Coverage
FDIC insures your deposits up to $250,000
The FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation) insurance coverage limit of $250,000 applies per depositor, per insured depository institution for each account ownership category. For additional information regarding FDIC insurance coverage, visit the FDIC's website(opens in a new tab) or call 877-ASK-FDIC (877-275-3342).
Determine if your money is 100% FDIC insured
You can use the FDIC's Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator (EDIE) to calculate if your money is 100% FDIC insured.
Certificate of Deposit Account Registry Service (CDARS)
BB&T offers an additional program known as the Certificate of Deposit Account Registry Service® (CDARS®) for clients with depository insurance needs that exceed the coverage provided by the FDIC. BB&T clients can leave deposits up to the FDIC insurance coverage limits on deposit with BB&T. Any deposit balances over the FDIC coverage limit can be enrolled in this program.
How CDARS works
- Enroll any BB&T CD balances that exceed the FDIC insurance coverage limits in the CDARS program.
- Select the rate and maturity dates that match the client's individual investment goals.
- BB&T will place any of the client's balances that exceed the FDIC insurance coverage limit for any one bank at other FDIC-insured banks up to the $250,000 coverage limit per institution.
Primary benefits of CDARS
- Clients can receive coverage on their CD deposit balances over the $250,000 FDIC insurance limit.
- BB&T continues to manage the client's deposit relationship. A client's large deposit is broken down into smaller amounts and placed with other banks in a special member network. Those member banks issue CDs in amounts under $250,000, so the entire investment is eligible for FDIC insurance.
- Clients earn one rate on their entire CDARS investment. There's no need to worry about multiple rate negotiations or consolidating multiple disbursement checks.
- Clients receive a new account notice on all CDs, Disclosure 1 along with the issuing banks, maturity dates, interest rates and other details.
Insured Cash Sweep (ICS) services
The Insured Cash Sweep® (ICS) service allows you to earn interest on funds placed in money market deposit accounts and enjoy up to six program withdrawals per month. Disclosure 2 You can rest assured knowing your ICS funds are eligible for multi-million-dollar FDIC insurance backed by the full-faith and credit of the United States government.
For the utmost in convenience, our online banking reflects both your checking and ICS balances, so you see the total picture of your liquid funds available. You receive a regular monthly statement from us showing your ICS balances and other key information. You can check your ICS balances and track monthly program withdrawals online, 24/7, through a specially designed depositor control panel. Your confidential information remains protected.
Based on your liquidity needs, you can choose the savings or demand option for ICS services.
How the ICS savings option works
- Our automated ICS savings service conveniently connects to your BB&T checking account.
- Through threshold settings customized for you, funds over $250,000 are placed in money market accounts with other banks in the ICS Network in amounts below the standard FDIC insurance maximum ($250,000) at each bank.
- Based on your daily checking transactions, funds are automatically swept back as needed to pay transactions, up to six times per month. Disclosure 2
- All remaining money stays safely invested in ICS.
How ICS demand option works
Our automated ICS demand service provides all of the convenience of ICS savings plus unlimited automatic sweep transfers between ICS and your BB&T checking account. Your funds above $250,000—or according to your needs—are placed into demand deposit accounts with other banks in the ICS Network. It's the ultimate in protection and liquidity, all connected to your BB&T checking account.
Primary benefits of ICS
- ICS Savings and ICS Demand provide the level of liquidity you need. Clients in ICS Savings whose liquidity needs change can ask their relationship manager to place their funds in the ICS Demand program.
- FDIC insurance coverage is provided by many institutions while working directly with BB&T, an institution you already know and trust. Your client privacy is always protected.
- Clients earn one rate on their ICS account.
- To ensure maximum FDIC protections, clients with multiple banking partners can easily specify which banks shouldn't receive any of their placed deposits.
- ICS can eliminate ongoing tracking burdens for clients accustomed to collateralization. It can also eliminate the need to footnote uninsured deposits in financial statements for clients who have to produce statements and note that type of risk.
A penalty may be imposed for early withdrawal from certificates of deposits (CDs).
Transaction limits apply.
CDARS, Certificate of Deposit Account Registry Service, ICS and Insured Cash Sweep are registered service marks of Promontory Interfinancial Network, LLC.
Traditional banking services are provided by Truist Bank, Member FDIC.
Branch Banking and Trust Company, Member FDIC.
New York City residents: Translation or other language access services may be available. When calling our office regarding collection activity, if you speak a language other than English and need verbal translation services, be sure to inform the representative. A description and translation of commonly-used debt collection terms is available in multiple languages at www.nyc.gov/dca.
Branch Banking and Trust Company is now Truist Bank. Learn more.
BB&T and SunTrust have merged to become Truist. Both institutions will continue to offer independent product lines for a period of time. This may include differing underwriting guidelines, product features, terms, fees and pricing. Our friendly teammates at your local SunTrust branches will be happy to walk you through their respective products. You can also learn more by contacting them at 800-SUNTRUST or SunTrust.com.