Debit cards may look like credit cards or ATM cards, but they work differently and can serve many different payment needs.
Debit cards can function in two ways—like a check to make purchases, or like an ATM card for immediate withdrawals of cash. The amount of the transaction is deducted from your checking account so there are no monthly bill or interest charges. It's a fast, easy and safe way to pay.
Advantages of a Debit Card
- Easy to obtain. If you qualify for a checking account at BB&T, you automatically qualify for a BB&T Debit Card.1
- Convenience. You don't have to carry cash or a checkbook. Swipe, sign and go.
- Readily accepted. The BB&T Debit Card is accepted worldwide wherever Visa® debit is accepted.
- Zero liability. BB&T Zero Liability will reimburse you for 100% of any unauthorized transactions resulting from a lost or stolen card.
- Easy recordkeeping. You can keep track of transactions online, via the phone, or on your monthly checking account statements. Log on to online banking, and you know immediately when a debit card transaction has been made. You also know the merchant's name and the last four digits of the card used to make the purchase.
- Guard your debit card against loss or theft. Keep it in a safe place just like cash, credit cards or checks.
- If you lose your debit card, notify BB&T immediately to order a new one.
- Choose a PIN that only you know. Don't use your phone number or birthday.
- Guard your PIN. Memorize it and never write it on your card.
- Keep receipts from all your debit card transactions.
- Review your statements immediately and investigate any unknown transactions.
- Know that debit cards, unlike credit cards, do not have grace periods. Money for debit card transactions is immediately or quickly deducted from your account.
- Be aware that you may incur fees for using your debit card for ATM transactions at ATMs not affiliated with your financial institution.