A Rollover Individual Retirement Account (IRA) has the same tax benefits as a Traditional IRA and there is no limit to the amount you can rollover from a qualified plan.
Best if you
- Would like to have a broader choice of investments and keep your savings tax-deferred
- Want to rollover assets from multiple former employer plans into one easy-to-manage account
- Are interested in flexible distribution options
- Tax advantages are protected
- No limit to the amount of tax-deferred money you can transfer
- Generally, lower investment costs
For your information
It may be helpful to consider some of the contribution and distribution requirements when deciding if the Rollover IRA is right for you.
When choosing a retirement plan, consider some of these contribution requirements for a Rollover IRA.
- Eligible individuals may rollover savings from former workplace plans, including 401(k), 403(b) or 457(b).
- For 2017, your contributions to all of your Traditional and Roth IRAs cannot be more than $5,500 ($6,500 if you're age 50 or older), or your taxable compensation for the year, whichever is less.
Rollover IRA withdrawal rules and penalty details vary depending on your age.
- Your deductible contributions and earnings will be taxed as ordinary income.
- For distributions, participants must be over age 59½, disabled, deceased or a first-time home buyer. There is a 10% penalty for withdrawals before age 59½.
- Minimum required distributions start at age 70½.
- Under certain circumstances, you may be able to avoid the penalty on early withdrawals.
Whether your priorities include retirement, education, security, a life event, legacy planning—or all of these—BB&T Investments has solutions to help you reach your goals.
Ready to get started?
Arrange a meeting.
Leave us your contact info, and we'll call you back.
Send certificates and correspondence to:
200 S. College St., 11th Floor
Charlotte, NC 28202
Am I Saving Enough for Retirement?
Find out if you're on track to meet your retirement goals with this handy calculator.
How Often Should I Do a Financial Check-up?
Know how often you should review your finances to make sure you're on track to reach your goals.
What Mistakes Am I Making With My Money?
Make sure you're avoiding these pitfalls to create better financial habits.
Ready to get started?
Not convinced that a Rollover IRA is right for you?
Traditional banking services are provided by Branch Banking and Trust Company, Member FDIC.
Only deposit products are FDIC insured.
Investment solutions are provided by BB&T Investments, a division of BB&T Securities, LLC(opens in a new tab), member FINRA (opens in a new tab)/SIPC (opens in a new tab). BB&T Securities, LLC is a wholly-owned nonbank subsidiary of BB&T Corporation. Securities and insurance products or annuities sold, offered or recommended by BB&T Investments are not a deposit, not FDIC insured, not guaranteed by a bank, not insured by any federal government agency and may lose value.
FINRA's BrokerCheck® is a free tool designed to help investors research the professional backgrounds of current and former FINRA-registered brokerage firms and brokers. Investors may access BrokerCheck by: 1. Visiting the BrokerCheck website at brokercheck.finra.org(opens in a new tab), or 2. Calling FINRA's BrokerCheck toll-free hotline at 800-289-9999 Monday through Friday from 8 am to 8 pm ET.
The information provided should not be considered as tax or legal advice. Please consult with your tax advisor and/or attorney regarding your individual circumstances.
Market data information is obtained from third-party sources believed to be reliable, but is provided “as is” with no warranty. Market data is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute investment advice, and may not be used for trading. Market data is for the individual use of each site guest, and may not be copied, downloaded, stored or redistributed. Quotes are delayed 15 minutes. Some index information is proprietary to the index owner. Data access and usage is subject to the terms and conditions imposed by our third-party sources. Access or use of any data indicates agreement to these terms.