The Savings Investment Match Plan for Employees (SIMPLE) Individual Retirement Account (IRA) combines the power of payroll contributions with the simplicity of an IRA for small business owners and their employees.
Best if you
- Have 100 or fewer employees
- Have employees who earned at least $5,000 in the preceding year and expect to earn at least that amount in the current year
- Do not maintain any other employer-sponsored retirement plan
- Would like to have multiple investment choices
- Are prepared to choose one of the contribution methods on a yearly basis
- Would benefit from a plan with no filing requirements
- SIMPLE IRAs are relatively easy to set up and run
- Contributions are tax-deductible for employers
- Employee contributions are pre-tax
- Earnings grow tax deferred
- Employers can choose a matching feature or a percentage of wages
- Matching employer contributions belong to the employee immediately and can go with them if they leave
- Employers must contribute up to 3% in matching contributions or 2% in non-elective contributions.
- Employees can contribute up to 100% of their compensation up to the designated annual cap. Those age 50 and older can contribute another $3,000 per year.
- Minimum required distributions start at age 70½. There is a 10% penalty for withdrawals made before age 59½. There is a 25% penalty for withdrawals made in the first 2 years of plan participation.
Whether your priorities include retirement, education, security, a life event, legacy planning—or all of these—BB&T Investments has solutions to help you reach your goals.
Ready to get started?
Arrange a meeting.
Leave us your contact info, and we'll call you back.
Send certificates and correspondence to:
200 S. College St., 11th Floor
Charlotte, NC 28202
Am I Saving Enough for Retirement? (Calculator)
Find out if you're on track to meet your retirement goals with this handy calculator.
How Often Should I Do a Financial Check-up? (Article)
Know how often you should review your finances to make sure you're on track to reach your goals.
What Mistakes Am I Making With My Money? (Video)
Make sure you're avoiding these pitfalls to create better financial habits.
Ready to get started?
Not convinced that a SIMPLE IRA is right for you?
Traditional banking services are provided by Branch Banking and Trust Company, Member FDIC.
Only deposit products are FDIC insured.
Investment solutions are provided by BB&T Investments, a division of BB&T Securities, LLC (opens in a new tab) member FINRA (opens in a new tab)/SIPC (opens in a new tab). BB&T Securities, LLC is a wholly-owned nonbank subsidiary of BB&T Corporation. Securities and insurance products or annuities sold, offered or recommended by BB&T Investments are not a deposit, not FDIC insured, not guaranteed by a bank, not insured by any federal government agency and may lose value.
FINRA's BrokerCheck® is a free tool designed to help investors research the professional backgrounds of current and former FINRA-registered brokerage firms and brokers. Investors may access BrokerCheck by: 1. Visiting the BrokerCheck website at brokercheck.finra.org(opens in a new tab), or 2. Calling FINRA's BrokerCheck toll-free hotline at 800-289-9999 Monday through Friday from 8 am to 8 pm ET.
The information provided should not be considered as tax or legal advice. Please consult with your tax advisor and/or attorney regarding your individual circumstances.
Market data information is obtained from third-party sources believed to be reliable, but is provided “as is” with no warranty. Market data is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute investment advice, and may not be used for trading. Market data is for the individual use of each site guest, and may not be copied, downloaded, stored or redistributed. Quotes are delayed 15 minutes. Some index information is proprietary to the index owner. Data access and usage is subject to the terms and conditions imposed by our third-party sources. Access or use of any data indicates agreement to these terms.