Contributions to a Traditional Individual Retirement Account (IRA) may be tax deductible, and earnings can grow tax-deferred until you withdraw them during retirement.
Best if you
- Want to lower your taxable income while saving for retirement
- Can claim your contributions as tax deductions
- Expect to be in a lower income tax bracket when you retire
- Annual contributions may be tax deductible
- Earnings grow tax deferred
- Contributions can be made throughout the current year and up to the federal tax filing deadline
- Take advantage of a wide variety of investment options
Not convinced yet?
Traditional IRAs have unique features that you won't find in any other retirement plan.
Understand the fine print
For a Traditional IRA, the rules for making contributions or withdrawals vary depending on your age.
- If you're younger than 50, you may contribute up to $6,000, or 100% of your taxable compensation for the year, whichever is less.
- If you're age 50 to 70 (not including the year you turn 70½), you can contribute up to $7,000, or 100% of eligible compensation, whichever is less.
- If you're younger than 59½, you can make early withdrawals without penalty for first-time home purchase up to $10,000, qualified education expenses, death or disability, unreimbursed medical expenses and/or health insurance if you're unemployed.
- If you're 59½ or older, all withdrawals are allowed without penalty.
Keep tabs on your account
Use U by BB&T®, our customizable online and mobile banking experience, to monitor all your accounts.
- View your BB&T and non-BB&T accounts and balances together for a complete view of your finances
- Skip the phone call and schedule an appointment with your BB&T banker online
- Take control of your finances—see your net worth, get your credit score, evaluate your spending and set financial goals
Whether your priorities include retirement, education, security, a life event, legacy planning—or all of these—BB&T Investments has solutions to help you reach your goals.
Ready to get started?
Arrange a meeting.
Leave us your contact info, and we'll call you back.
Send certificates and correspondence to:
200 S. College St., 11th Floor
Charlotte, NC 28202
Am I Saving Enough for Retirement? (Calculator)
Find out if you're on track to meet your retirement goals with this handy calculator.
How Can I Minimize Taxes in Retirement? (Article)
With the right strategies, it’s possible to defer, reduce and even avoid certain taxes and penalties in retirement.
What Mistakes Am I Making With My Money? (Video)
Make sure you're avoiding these pitfalls to create better financial habits.
Ready to get started?
Not convinced that a Traditional IRA is right for you?
Traditional banking services are provided by Branch Banking and Trust Company, Member FDIC.
Only deposit products are FDIC insured.
Investment solutions are provided by BB&T Investments, a division of BB&T Securities, LLC (opens in a new tab) member FINRA (opens in a new tab)/SIPC (opens in a new tab). BB&T Securities, LLC is a wholly-owned nonbank subsidiary of BB&T Corporation. Securities and insurance products or annuities sold, offered or recommended by BB&T Investments are not a deposit, not FDIC insured, not guaranteed by a bank, not insured by any federal government agency and may lose value.
FINRA's BrokerCheck® is a free tool designed to help investors research the professional backgrounds of current and former FINRA-registered brokerage firms and brokers. Investors may access BrokerCheck by: 1. Visiting the BrokerCheck website at brokercheck.finra.org(opens in a new tab), or 2. Calling FINRA's BrokerCheck toll-free hotline at 800-289-9999 Monday through Friday from 8 am to 8 pm ET.
The information provided should not be considered as tax or legal advice. Please consult with your tax advisor and/or attorney regarding your individual circumstances.
Market data information is obtained from third-party sources believed to be reliable, but is provided “as is” with no warranty. Market data is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute investment advice, and may not be used for trading. Market data is for the individual use of each site guest, and may not be copied, downloaded, stored or redistributed. Quotes are delayed 15 minutes. Some index information is proprietary to the index owner. Data access and usage is subject to the terms and conditions imposed by our third-party sources. Access or use of any data indicates agreement to these terms.