Mobile Banking: Frequently Asked Questions
Our mobile banking service allows anyone with an online banking account to access their eligible accounts from a mobile device. You can check account balances, review account activity and transfer money between accounts.
Mobile banking offers two ways to access your accounts:
|Feature||U by BB&T mobile app||Text banking|
|Works on iPhone®, iPad® and Android® devices||Yes||Yes|
|Check account balances||Yes||Yes|
|Transfer money between accounts||Yes||Yes|
|Find the nearest branch or ATM||Yes|
|Spanish language support||Yes|
|Block your debit card if it is lost, stolen or damaged—and order a new one immediately||Yes|
|Activate, temporarily disable, set limits and manage international transactions on your debit card||Yes|
|Personalize your debit card||Yes|
- U by BB&T mobile app – Download our free mobile app for iPhone, iPad or Android.
- Mobile text – Use mobile quick codes to manage your finances on any mobile device with text messaging features.
You can access the following accounts using mobile banking. New account types are added regularly.
- Prepaid MoneyAccount® card
- Credit card
- Credit line
- MyLink payroll card
- Ready Access card
- Home equity loan
- Consumer loan
- Business loan
- Equipment loan
- Equipment finance
- BB&T Investment Services
- BB&T Scott & Stringfellow
You can manage your debit card through the BB&T mobile app for iPad, Android and iPhone. You can:
- Replace a lost, stolen or damaged debit card. (Ordering a new card automatically blocks the lost card.)
- Personalize your debit card.
- Temporarily disable your debit card.
- Enable or disable debit card purchases, ATM transactions and international transactions.
- Customize you daily purchase limits and ATM withdrawal limits.
- Activate new debit cards.
BB&T offers mobile text banking in English and Spanish. Mobile text banking allows anyone with an online banking account to access their eligible accounts using text messaging.
BB&T does not charge you a fee to use or access our mobile banking service. You should contact your mobile provider for information about fees associated with sending or receiving text messages or accessing the Internet from your mobile device.
BB&T is committed to protecting client financial data and keeps the safety and privacy of your information at the forefront. To ensure the confidentiality of your account information, a multilayered security approach has been built into BB&T mobile banking products.
- Secure Registration Process – For increased registration security, you are required to enroll in BB&T online banking and establish a user ID, password and security questions to register for mobile banking. SMS verification is required to verify your mobile device phone number for mobile text banking. When you enroll in mobile text banking, you will be asked to reply to a verification message to complete your enrollment. This process associates your mobile phone number with your account. In addition to the security measure, this verification lets you know your mobile device's phone number was successfully entered into the system.
- No Identifiable Information – BB&T will never transmit your full account numbers during your mobile banking transactions. Your account numbers will appear truncated on your mobile device screen and in your mobile text banking replies. Mobile banking also uses advanced encryption technology to prevent unauthorized access to your personal information.
- Authenticated Login – We use a layered authentication approach before you are permitted to access our mobile platforms. In addition to supplying a user ID and password, you will be required to answer a security question to log in to mobile banking for the first time. You may access mobile banking from multiple devices, but to access your account, you will be asked to answer a security question to associate that device with your account.
- Fingerprint Authentication – You can log in to the U by BB&T mobile app with fingerprint authentication instead of entering your user ID and password. Touch ID® is available on compatible Apple devices and Fingerprint is available on compatible Android devices. Your device must have registered fingerprints to enable fingerprint authentication in the U app. Once enabled, any person with a fingerprint stored on your device will have access to your accounts through the U app. BB&T does not have access to your fingerprint information, but we may limit the use of Touch ID or Fingerprint in certain circumstances.
For more mobile security related material, please visit Security Central.
BB&T will never send full account numbers or other personal information through mobile banking. If your mobile device is lost or stolen, no one can access your account without knowing your unique user ID and password.
If your mobile device is lost or stolen, follow the steps listed below:
- Report it immediately to your mobile carrier.
- Immediately log in to your online banking account from your computer and delete the lost or stolen mobile number from your mobile settings.
- If you can't get to online banking, immediately call BB&T Phone24 at 888-BBT-ONLINE (888-228-6654) to delete your mobile number from your mobile settings.
Mobile banking allows you to view account balances and history information, transfer funds and more from your mobile device. Your information will be sent directly to your mobile device.
Alerts are automatic notices sent by BB&T to your mobile device or email containing information about your registered account(s). You choose which alerts you want to see and when you want to be notified.
An alert can notify you of a situation with your account and you can react to that alert using a mobile text message to request additional account information or transfer money between accounts.
For example, if you receive a Low Balance Alert by text message, you can send a BAL ALL text to 69228 (MYBBT) for a listing of your account balances and then send a TRA text message to transfer money from one of your accounts to the account with the low balance.
You can also quickly log in to the mobile app to take any action necessary—balance transfers, payments and more.
Mobile banking enrollment
To get started with mobile banking, you need a valid online banking user ID and password, and you must have set your security questions. Then you can download the app to your smartphone or iPad or go to BBT.com from your mobile browser to log in using your online banking user ID and password.
You will be asked a security question the first time you log in to mobile banking. On successful login, you will see your account summary, which means you're ready to go.
For mobile text, follow these steps:
- Turn on your mobile phone and make sure it's ready to receive text messages.
- Go to BBT.com on your mobile device browser or start the BB&T mobile app.
- On the mobile website, go to Alerts - Email & Mobile Settings and tap Go to Text Banking, or go to your Profile on the mobile app.
- Enter and confirm your mobile number.
- Check your mobile device for a verification text message from MYBBT (69228).
- Text back YES to verify your new number.
- Receive your confirmation text.
A welcome message confirming your mobile banking enrollment will be sent to your mobile device. You are now ready to begin using mobile banking.
If you are unable to remember your online banking user ID or password, select the Forgot User ID? link on the login screen.
Note: You will be asked for your BB&T Debit Card/ATM card number and PIN.
If you have not received your verification code, first make sure your mobile device's phone number is entered correctly in your Email and Mobile Settings.
If your phone number is correct, please follow the steps below:
- Verify your mobile phone is turned on and able to receive text messages. You may need to consult your mobile carrier if you are unsure you can receive text messages.
- Contact your mobile carrier and make sure your mobile device is not blocked from sending and receiving SMS messages to and from short codes. 69228 (MYBBT) is the BB&T Mobile Text short code.
- Log in to online banking and choose the Text Banking link. Choose the Resend Message link to resend the verification message. If you still do not receive the verification code, please contact BB&T Phone24 at 888-BBT-ONLINE (888-228-6654) for assistance.
You have 72 hours to reply to the verification message. After that time, the message will expire and you will need to resend the message to your mobile device. To resend the message, log in to online banking and choose the Text Banking link. Choose the Resend Message link. A new verification message will be sent to your mobile device.
Your mobile banking account settings can be changed from your personal computer by logging in to online banking and going to the Email & Mobile Settings page in Alerts. Choose the Go to Text Banking link, and you can add or remove accounts, change account nicknames, assign your default account and update your mobile phone number.
U by BB&T mobile app
The U by BB&T app is a customizable mobile banking experience that allows you to check balances, pay bills, transfer money, pay a person, link non-BB&T accounts and more—all from your smartphone or tablet. As a secure mobile application, U is designed for iPhone, iPad and Android devices.
- Active online banking account
- iPhone, iPad with iOS 8 or higher, or Android device with OS 4.4 or higher
- Mobile device that operates on either Wi-Fi or a data plan
BB&T does not charge fees to download or use the U mobile app. Your mobile carrier may charge for text messaging and web access services. Contact your carrier for information about their fees.
Certain device restrictions prevent the U mobile app from displaying all of your recent account activity. Recent activity searches will return the last 90 days of account activity for the selected account. Check number and amount searches will display the last 90 days of activity for iPhone, iPad and Android devices. Date range searches for iPhone, iPad and Android will return the last 6 months of activity.
Recent transactions and search functions are only available for the following account types:
- Checking account
- Prepaid MoneyAccount card
- Savings account
- Credit card
- Credit line
- Payroll card
Yes. From time to time, updates to the BB&T mobile app will be made available that incorporate new functionality and/or address bugs to continue to improve the product for our banking clients.
Mobile text banking allows anyone with an online banking account to access their eligible accounts from a mobile device with SMS text messaging. You can:
- Check your account balances.
- Request a list of your most recent account activity.
- Transfer money between eligible accounts.
- Active online banking account
- Current enrollment in mobile banking with one verified mobile device
- Verified mobile device that supports SMS text messaging
- Mobile carrier that supports text
BB&T offers text banking in English and Spanish. It allows anyone with an online banking account to access eligible accounts using text messaging.
Quick codes are short text messages you send from your mobile device to BB&T to request account information. You may request balance and account activity information or schedule a transfer of funds between eligible accounts.
To send a quick code, text one of the following codes to 69228 (MYBBT).
|Quick code||Code description||Example|
|BAL ALL||All account balances|
|BAL + [account nickname]||Balance of specific named account||
BAL + (space) + [account nickname]
Ex: BAL sav1
|LAST||View transaction history for last 10 transactions|
|LAST + [account nickname]||Transactions of specific named account||
LAST + (space) + [account nickname]
Ex: LAST sav1
TRA + (space) + [from account nickname] + (space) [to account nickname] + (space) + [amount]
Ex: TRA sav1 homeck 300.50
|INFO||List of quick codes|
|STOP||Unsubscribe the mobile device|
|START||Re-subscribe the mobile device|
|MORE||Additional transactions for LAST or BAL ALL request|
|BAL HELP||Additional information for BAL code|
|LAST HELP||Additional information for LAST code|
|MORE HELP||Additional information for MORE code|
|INFO HELP||Additional information for INFO code|
|TRA HELP||Additional information for TRA code|
|START HELP||Additional information for START code|
|STOP HELP||Additional information for STOP code|
Please note: Quick code text messages can be typed in mixed, lower or upper case.
We recommend you save the BB&T quick code number 69228 (MYBBT) in your mobile contacts or address book just like a regular phone number.
The default account is automatically selected when the BAL or LAST text command is used alone without specifying an account nickname.
Mobile account nicknames will help you easily identify each of your accounts when making text banking transactions. These nicknames can be up to eight characters in length and are used for text banking commands only.
For checking and savings accounts, information is sent to you in real time, and is accurate as of the time of the text message. The BAL text message will send you the current available balance and the LAST text message will send your most recent posted transactions for the requested account. Pending transactions will not be shown.
Please make sure you are addressing new text messages or replying to a recent text message from 69228 (MYBBT). In addition, confirm you are using the correct spelling of the quick code, and if you are specifying an account, that you are using the correct account nickname.
You can make one-time transfers between your eligible accounts using the TRA quick code. If you send the TRA quick code on a weekend or business holiday, the funds will be transferred on the first eligible business day.
The correct format is shown below:
TRA + (space) + [from_account_nickname] + (space) + [to_account_nickname] + (space) + amount
TRA sav1 homeck 300.50 will send a request to transfer $300.50 from SAV1 (the from_account_nickname) to HOMECK (the to_account_nickname).
A confirmation message will be sent to your mobile device after you have sent a TRA text message.
After receiving the confirmation message, you can follow the steps below:
- Check that your available balance has been updated by either sending a BAL ALL text message to 69228 (MYBBT) or checking your online banking account.
- From your online banking account, select the Accounts tab for either of the accounts involved in the transfer, and then choose Account History. Your transfer should be listed under Pending Transactions.
- On the day following your transfer, log in to online banking, select the Accounts tab for either of the accounts involved in the transfer, and then choose Account History. Your transfer should be listed under Posted Transactions.
If you receive an error message after sending the TRA quick code to BB&T, please verify it by following the steps shown below:
- The transfer command was entered as follows: TRA + (space) + [from_account_nickname] + (space) + [to_account_nickname] +(space) + [amount]
- Your transfer was between two different checking and savings eligible accounts. Send a BAL ALL text message to see a list of your eligible accounts and their available balances.
- The from_account_nickname and to_account_nickname were entered correctly.
- A valid dollar amount, greater than 0.01 (one cent) and less than 1,000,000 (1 million), was entered. If your amount is less than one dollar, enter a zero before the decimal point. You may include commas, but do not include a dollar sign ($).
No, quick codes and text messages are not supported using email. The two-way messaging feature of messages will only work with mobile devices.
If your mobile number has changed, you must update it in your mobile settings. Update your new number as follows:
- Log in to online banking and go to the Email & Mobile Settings page in Alerts.
- Choose the Edit link next to the mobile number you want to update and enter your new mobile number.
Note: You can also update your mobile number in the U app in your Profile.
Verify your new number:
- Check your mobile for a verification text message from MYBBT (69228).
- Text back YES to verify your new number.
- Receive your confirmation text.
Your verification will be valid for 72 hours. You must verify your new number to complete your enrollment and start using mobile banking.
Note: If you use both mobile banking and alerts, you only need to edit your mobile number in one place, either alerts settings or mobile settings. The change will automatically update your number for both mobile banking and alerts.
Mobile bill payment
Mobile bill payment offers bill payment features from your mobile devices. Using the mobile app, you can send bill payments to the recipients you designate by electronic funds transfer or paper check.
To set up a bill payment with mobile banking, you first have to create a recipient in the Bill Pay section. Next, select the recipient, account to pay from, send on date, payment amount, frequency and then select Continue. Verify the information is correct then select Submit.
Yes, you can create a new business or person recipient and also edit and delete recipients in the U by BB&T iPhone, iPad and Android app.
Due date is the date when your payment will be delivered to your payee. Send date is the date when the payment was processed to meet the requested due date. Allow 2 business days for electronic payment processing and 5 business days for paper check processing. Funds for electronic payments will be held during processing.
For electronic payments, funded by a BB&T deposit account, funds from your account are held 2 days before the due date to allow for processing. The hold reduces your available balance by the amount of the payment. The funds for your payment must be available on the processing date. However, the funds are not actually withdrawn from your account until 2 days later, after 7 pm ET on the due date.
For paper check payments, funded by a BB&T deposit account, no funds are held and your available balance is not reduced on the payment processing date. It is not until the check actually posts to your account that funds are withdrawn. The funds withdrawal date will vary depending on when your payee deposits the check payment. Although funds are not held when your paper check payment is processed, sufficient funds must be available in your account on the processing date for your payment to process.
For payments funded by a MyLink Card or Ready Access Card, either electronically or in the form of paper checks, funds will be withdrawn from your account on the send date.
After BB&T processes your payment, you can view your posted payments using the mobile app. Select the Recent Transactions option to review your payment details. If you deleted a payment prior to processing, or a payment could not be processed due to nonsufficient funds, the details screen will display cancelled or failed.
Under the Transactions option in the U mobile app, you can view the last 60 days of payments that have been processed and/or posted. For additional payment history, log in to the BB&T website and go to the Payment History section of Bill Payment.
Yes. All non-processed payments can be cancelled up to 7 pm ET on the send date. Go to the Scheduled Transactions section and select the payment you want to cancel. Once your payment is cancelled, you can view it under the Recent Transactions section. It will display with a cancelled status.
An error message will display if you attempt to schedule a bill payment after the cut-off time for that payment type. To schedule the payment, you must change the due date to a later date.
Mobile check deposit
BB&T Mobile Check Deposit is a feature of our U mobile app that allows you to deposit paper checks using an Android, iPhone, iPod Touch device, iPad or iPad mini.
In the U app, tap the Deposits icon in the navigation menu. Choose the deposit to account, enter the amount of the check, snap photos of the front and back of the endorsed check and submit the deposit. You will be asked to verify your entries before completing the deposit.
The minimum requirements for mobile check deposit are:
- A valid BB&T bank deposit account (personal or small business checking)
- An active online banking or small business online account.
- Most current version of the U mobile app
To receive higher limits, all of the following conditions need to be met:
- A banking relationship with BB&T for at least 90 days.
- BB&T accounts in good standing. For example:
- No more than two returned deposited items in the last 90 days
- No more than one negative account balance fee in the last 90 days
- No more than two returned items in the last 90 days
Mobile check deposit is supported on devices that meet the following criteria:
- Android, iPhone or iPod Touch device
- iPad (Version 2 or higher) or iPad mini
- 2 MP or higher camera
- Apple iOS version 8.0 or higher for iPhone/iOS version 8.0 or higher for iPad
- Android OS 4.4 or higher
Mobile check deposit is a feature included in our U mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android devices.
The following check types can be submitted using mobile check deposit:
- Personal checks payable to you
- Business checks payable to you
- Checks drawn from a United States bank
The following check types should not be submitted using mobile check deposit:
- Traveler's checks
- Savings bonds
- Money orders
- Federal government checks
- Foreign checks
- Checks payable to any person or entity other than you
Check deposits made using mobile check deposit are subject to verification and will generally be available for withdrawal 2 to 3 business days from the date of your deposit. Some checks may be held longer for further processing. Mobile check deposits received on weekends, bank holidays and Monday through Friday after 8 pm ET are processed the following business day.
Mobile deposits are free.1
You are not limited to the number of deposits you can make using mobile check deposit. However, there are daily and monthly limits on the deposit amounts.
The details for retail, business and wealth clients are as follows:
- Retail clients with a BB&T checking account opened for less than 90 days: $500 per day and $1,000 for any 30 consecutive day period.
- Retail clients with a BB&T checking account opened for more than 90 days and with good account behavior: $2,500 per day and $5,000 for any 30 consecutive calendar day period.
- Active retail mobile deposit clients for more than 6 months and with good account behavior: $5,000 per day and $10,000 for any 30 consecutive calendar day period.
- Business clients with a BB&T checking account opened for less than 90 days: $1,000 per day and $3,000 for any 30 consecutive calendar day period.
- Business clients with a BB&T checking account opened for more than 90 days and with good account behavior: $5,000 per day and $10,000 for any 30 consecutive calendar day period. BB&T Visa® Business Credit Card, BB&T OnSite Deposit and BB&T Merchant Services clients are eligible for these limits upon establishing a relationship with BB&T.
- Active business mobile deposit clients for more than 6 months and with good account behavior: $10,000 per day and $30,000 for any 30 consecutive calendar day period.
- $10,000 per day and $30,000 for any 30 consecutive calendar day period. Available within 30 days of establishing a relationship with BB&T.
The following best practices will help you establish good account behavior that results in higher deposit limits:
- Own your BB&T checking account for more than 90 days.
- Keep your checking account funded.
- Make sure you have sufficient activity in your account—at least 10 transactions in the past 90 days.
- If possible, set up direct deposits to your checking account.
- Keep your BB&T accounts in good standing. For example:
- Don't deposit bad checks—make sure the other party has funds in their accounts before you deposit the check.
- Keep your balance above zero. If it does go negative, make sure you bring up the balance before you are charged a negative account balance fee.
- Don't write bad checks—make sure you have enough money in your account before writing a check to someone.
- Keep using mobile check deposit often—deposit at least three checks in 6 months.
- Once you have deposited a check via mobile, don't re-deposit it at a branch or any other location. This may result in loss of service. Please see the next question "What do I do with my paper check after a mobile check deposit has been submitted?" for more information.
Once you have deposited the check successfully, you should keep the check in a safe place for 30 days. After 30 days, and after you have confirmed the deposited funds have been applied to your account correctly, shred and dispose of the check.
- Make sure all other apps running in the background are closed.
- Make sure the check amount entered matches the amount written on your check.
- Verify the back of your check is signed (endorsed) and labeled "For Deposit Only."
- Flatten folded or crumpled checks before taking your photos.
- Keep the check within the on-screen corners when capturing your photos.
- Capture the photos of your check in a well-lit area.
- Place your check on a solid dark background before taking your photos.
- Keep your phone flat and steady above the check when taking your photos.
- Make sure the entire check image is visible and in focus before submitting your deposit.