Prepare for the next phase of your life
You've invested a lot of time and energy into making your business a success. Now it's time to start thinking about the next step—both in your life and in the life of your business. Whether you're planning to transition your business to a family member, sell to a third party, or sell to a partner, having a clearly-defined plan in place can increase the likelihood of ensuring a successful transition.
Our business transition planning platform is designed to address the multitude of financial impacts a business owner may face, or is currently managing, in anticipation of a transition from the business. BB&T's planning professionals partner with you and your business advisory team to form solutions most appropriate to your needs and values. By evaluating all the alternatives for disposition, we work to maximize the ultimate value of the business.
We begin by listening to you and considering key questions such as:
- What should my transition timeline be?
- How much capital do I need to ensure my family's financial destiny and legacy?
- To whom do I want to transfer my business?
- How do I begin the transition of my business and still maintain control?
- How do I retain valued employees, thereby ensuring their employment with the business after my transition?
- How do I protect key employees and others who have contributed to my success?
The combined planning analysis will encompass recommendations regarding the following elements:
- Personal financial needs assessment
- Evaluation of multiple sale or succession strategies
- Preserving, protecting and promoting business value
- Guidance on transferring control to successor management
- Estate, asset and wealth preservation planning
- Coordination of the implementation process and ongoing guidance
A successful transition includes the following critical components:
- Personal wealth and estate planning – Illustrating the impact of business transition options and timing on goals
- Disposition decision – Facilitating the analysis for the sale or transfer of the business and transition timeframe
- Maximizing and protecting business value – Calculating value using sound methodologies across key metrics, comparing against the industry and ensuring processes are in place to enable the desired results
- Asset protection and risk management – Safeguarding your business and personal property from future creditors or claims by having the right documents and business structure in place
- Contingency planning – Preparing a "Plan B" with appropriate legal documents and risk management programs in the event of unforeseen circumstances
- Ownership and transfer of your business interests – Identifying the skills and expertise needed from successors, formulating your exit timeline and helping to prepare family members
Simplify your increasingly complex financial life
As your responsibilities increase, so do the intricacies of your financial needs. Peace of mind comes from knowing a dedicated team of professionals is working together to keep you on the right path—your path.
Our four-step approach begins with in-depth conversations and results in an integrated action plan that grows and matures as your financial needs and objectives change.
Step 1: Assess your needs
We invest the time up front to fully understand your current situation, goals for the future, the people and causes you care about, and how you want to use your assets.
Step 2: Structure your plan
Based on the information you share, we review your goals, resources, priorities and areas of focus to create a highly customized, fully integrated financial strategy as distinctive as you.
Step 3: Assemble your team
You're supported by a dedicated team of BB&T specialists representing each area of financial expertise. Each member brings specialized knowledge and insights to optimize resources and enhance outcomes.
Step 4: Monitor your results
As part of our long-term commitment to you, we continuously monitor your plan's performance, recommend adjustments as needed, and meet with you on a regular basis.
Ready to take the next step?
Choose a time for an advisor to call you.
Speak with an advisor.
BB&T Perspectives shares financial, leadership and lifestyle perspectives with the hopes of enhancing our clients' lives. Learn more about the financial planning topics our Wealth experts are discussing.
How Can I Best Determine the Value of My Company?
Understanding your company’s value is both an art and a science, and a team of experts can guide you along the way.
Loans, lines of credit and credit cards are subject to credit approval.
Only deposit products are FDIC insured.
Traditional banking services are provided by Branch Banking and Trust Company, Member FDIC.
Investment solutions are provided by BB&T Investments, a division of BB&T Securities, LLC(opens in a new tab), member FINRA (opens in a new tab)/SIPC (opens in a new tab). BB&T Securities, LLC is a wholly-owned nonbank subsidiary of BB&T Corporation. Securities and insurance products or annuities sold, offered or recommended by BB&T Investments are not a deposit, not FDIC insured, not guaranteed by a bank, not insured by any federal government agency and may lose value.
Insurance products and services are offered by McGriff Insurance Services, Inc.; Crump Life Insurance Services, Inc.; DBA BB&T Life Insurance Services; and BB&T Insurance Services of California, Inc., wholly owned subsidiaries of BB&T Insurance Holdings, Inc.
The information provided should not be considered as tax or legal advice. Please consult with your tax advisor and/or attorney regarding your individual circumstances.