The wealth you’ve created can be significantly enhanced by the legacy you leave. Transferring your wealth is about so much more than the distribution of your assets. It considers the causes you want to support, the estate or business you want to hand over, and the heirs you want to protect. It focuses on your deepest values and evaluates your entire financial picture to position your wealth in ways that enrich the lives of others for years to come.
At BB&T Wealth, we recommend asset transfer strategies that further your philanthropic and tax reduction goals during your lifetime, and allow for your wishes to be carried out beyond your lifetime.
Where are you on your journey?
Thinking about your legacy drives successful outcomes in every area of a person’s life—from financial circumstances to family relationships to philanthropic impact.
- Reflect carefully on your life, your values and your goals, determining where you want to go and what you want to achieve for yourself, your family and the causes you care about
- Engage in proper estate planning, which is critical to outlining and fulfilling your wishes during the remainder of your life and as part of your legacy
- Consult with your BB&T Wealth advisory team to review or put in place living documents such as wills, powers-of-attorney and trusts that accomplish your objectives
Legacy planning makes it easier to handle complex wealth issues and achieve peace of mind by protecting your wealth from long-term costs and providing financial security for those you love.
- Ensure your assets are titled effectively to maximize your estate value and minimize estate and inheritance taxes, and are gifted in the correct sequence
- Allocate your investments appropriately and carry the adequate type and amount of insurance
- Facilitate a smooth transition from your business
- Establish the right executor and trustee to carry out your wishes as outlined in your estate plan
- Account for the potential life events between you and your heirs that could alter the plan
For many people, giving back is incredibly important and rewarding—making the world a better place for yourself, your children and future generations.
- Determine how much wealth is needed to sustain your continued financial independence, while gifting to your family, friends, community and the organizations you care about
- Invest in institutions (nonprofit and private) that uphold principles meaningful to you and exclude those that act contrary to your values
- Move from unstructured giving to a more deliberate philanthropy approach
- Work with your BB&T Wealth advisory team to define and implement the best charitable gifting strategies to achieve your objectives, minimize tax implications and provide the benefits you desire
Ready to take the next step?
Choose a time for an advisor to call you.
Speak with an advisor.
Comprehensive financial planning
A strategy designed just for you that considers all of your personal needs and business plans.
With the Vantage Suite of Services, your accounts are integrated to make your financial life as convenient and rewarding as possible.
Mortgages, lines of credit and customized lending solutions can be powerful monetary levers to support your overall financial strategy.
The appropriate insurance coverage can safeguard your assets from unexpected disasters and preserve your wealth for future generations.
Retirement and investing
A detailed plan and customized investing strategy will position you to meet your short- and long-term goals.
Trust and estate planning
You can leave an enduring legacy that protects your estate while supporting your philanthropic interests.
Managing personal wealth
Handle everyday finances, prepare for life events and protect your wealth to achieve your financial goals.
Optimizing business wealth
Grow your business, protect its value, and make a transition plan.
Planning for retirement
Develop your strategy with a holistic vision that addresses every stage of your retirement journey.